Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Happy birthday to me!

Well what a day. Today was a day I will never forget. My 30th birthday, spent doing what I love - loving on orphans. We had another full day at the orphanage, and even though we girls had our "plan", God had His own plan, and of course, we had a great day.
When we left on Monday, we challenged the girls to continue the work we had started. The freshly painted walls were filthy and so we started cleaning them. Crystal put one of the older girls in charge and said "When we come back on Wednesday, we want to see what else you've done." When we pulled up in front of the orphanage, the first thing we saw was orphans cleaning the outside of the orphanage! They had soapy water and designated rinsers and dryers. It was awesome! We got so excited and started cheering them on, which made them excited and work harder. It was so cool to see "Okay, maybe we are making a little bit of a difference".
After that, we had such a girlie day with the girls (and even some of the boys *cough* Aaron *cough*). It started with painting their finger nails/toe nails, which is interesting to do when you have antsy little girls who don't understand "sit and let them dry" even with a translator. "Sit still? Wait? What?!" So needless to say that took a little longer than we thought because we had to re-do some girls over and over again. Our final "girl" did a great job though. Aaron's toenails are a nice shade of burnt orange.  After that, and a little more loving on the girls and playing "hair salon" (Tashina was a trooper until they brought out scissors), we had a lunch time "debriefing", where we enjoy some lunch and talking about things that happened that morning.
After lunch we busted out the colored thread to make bracelets with the girls. That was a hit! On my wrists I currently have 4 bracelets in additions to the ones I wear all the time, and oddly enough they're all the same 3 colors (blue, yellow and white). I guess the girls could tell I'm from Michigan. Even the little boys got in to this one (Aaron and his orange toes were back to work at this point). During this time, I had the sweetest present ever - 15 little Haitian girls sang me happy birthday in creole and then again in English. Best. Thing. Ever.
The end of our day was pretty great too - a dance party. It started with my dad (*sigh so embarrassing - yes, there is a video of it) and pretty soon all of us were dragged into the circle to copy the little dance leader. Not to toot my own horn, but when I was done she said to me "Good job!" All those years of dance paid off mom!
Tonight, we're having a quiet night, enjoying the electricity. It's been a good day, and a great birthday. Thank You God.
Mom, dad's "dance skills" are a hit with the girls. They even started copying his "leg move"! He's doing well with the clothes he picked. No "Uncle Jack" down here. Thanks so much for the birthday message this morning. If I wouldn't have been scared for my life on a tap-tap, I would have teared up. We both love you and miss you and can't wait to talk to you once we land in Atlanta on Saturday. Glad to hear Jay is taking care of you with the snow.

Jenna

3 comments:

  1. Hi guys, love you both and anxious to talk. I am so glad it was a wonderful birthday for you. Only God would orchestrate a birthday in Haiti for Jenna. What a great gift. Jay came again and plowed me out. We really owe him Craig. Of course, Roni, Erika and I are excited to see the video. Glad someone got one! donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenna. Please stop dad from dancing anymore!! That is so embarrassing. There is a message from my kids on your phone wishing you a happy birthday. Tell Dad mom is obeying all the stove/oven rules - she might be eating out every meal by the end of the week though. ;) Love you! You should make Dad write one blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you Jenna!!!! It is such a gift to me to see you celebrating your birthday in Haiti doing what you so love to do...very special blessing and such a gift from the Lord! As I continue to pray you all through it brings tears to my eyes to see what the Lord is doing through each of you individually and as a whole group. The song "They will know we are Christians by our love" keeps going through my mind. It is a beautiful vision to think of you as you walk side by side and work side by side....and dance side by side as well :) ....all for the Lord....so very beautiful. We continue to thank God for what He is doing and it is a joy to be praying you through. We love to hear from you and we love you, Karen

    ReplyDelete