Monday, March 3, 2014

At last...

Well, I finally made it to Haiti. God is so amazing. I really thought my chances of coming to Haiti were next to nothing once I moved down to Nashville, but apparently I was wrong. Yay!
We spent our first full ministry day at the orphanage and it was overwhelming in so many ways. The guys were put on construction/clean up detail, while we girls got to spend time with the girls (although many of the orphans helped the guys out with construction and clean up). We spent the morning talking with the 3 of the 4 women who cook and clean the facilities, as well as cleaning the little kids and helping them get ready for school in the morning. It was very interesting listening to their side of things. The girls definitely need more consistency, so we're praying about ways to bring that about. Please pray as well.
After talking with the women we hung out with the kids for a bit. They love hand clapping games and just being loved on. I can do that!
During the afternoon we girls got a crash course in washing the kids' laundry (Tashina wins the award for that). Because laundry duty was covered, a couple of us worked with some of the girls washing down some of the walls of the orphanage. Dirty hand prints and smudges were all over the freshly painted walls, so we gathered about 7 girls to help, and they seemed less than thrilled. But, by the time we finished working there was probably 20 girls working with us. They were loving it. Crystal told them to continue doing it over the next couple days and we'll see how well they do while we're not there. We head back on Wednesday, so hopefully they've kept up the good work.
We finished the day with a Bible lesson and coloring time. There's already a couple girls tugging at my heart (shocking for me, I know), and if I could put them in my suitcase and bring them back to Nashville, I gladly would.
Around the base things are going well. Electricity has been on about... 50% of the time. It was on all night last night, so I slept great. Tonight... we'll see. So far nothing.
Mom (Donna), dad and I are doing great. He told me this morning "It's only Monday, and I'm already glad I'm here." The kids love him and he's being his goofy "Oh dad" self. I enjoyed telling him "I told you so". :) We both love you and wish you were here.

Jenna




























1 comment:

  1. So glad you wrote. I was anxious to hear how you both are doing. Yes, in a way I wish I was there also. Excited to see what God has for both of you. So how does dad look in the wardrobe he picked out?! It snowed quite a bit on Saturday through the night. Jay was wonderful to come over and plow me out and shovel the walk to the door. I am sleeping well - many prayers. love you both

    ReplyDelete