Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Drummer

I LOVE HAITI! 

Today, I started off my morning with amazing bread, a banana, and spaghetti, followed by a devotional about God's grace and love being so unconditional! He gives US, sinners, a fresh start each day. 

We then went to Rony's Kids and got to teach a Bible lesson about baby Moses and some of the children helped to act it out. I've learned so much from so many kids already, such as the multiple hand games, and even how to count to 4 in creole!! We played parachute games, and boy do the Haitians love soccer. The smile these children give off illuminate everybody's day, and one little girl had the most adorable laugh. It was so amazing for her to sit in my laugh and just see her big beautiful smile!

Later on in the day, after eating PB&J, the team split up into three groups, and I was blessed to be in a group with Maggie, Ashton, Crystal, and our translator, Redgi. After talking to many people, christians and people who are not, I found one man who truly hit home with me, and I feel so called by God to share his story, so others may also help to pray for him to grow a relationship with Christ. While walking through the streets, Crystal mentioned always wanting to talk to this one man who makes his own drums. They looked very familiar, considering I was in an African drumming and dance ensemble in middle school. After talking to this man, and learning about his drum making business, we asked if he was a Christian. While he knew so much about the Bible and how we should make a joyful noise for the Lord, he feared being a christian due to Haitian culture, and hand made drums are associated with voodooism, therefore if he becomes a christian he could lose his job. As many know, jobs are extremely hard to find in Haiti and so important to the Haitian people. We proceeded to say that God doesn't mind what instruments you play or even what others say, He loves you and that's what matters. We prayed for him and I so hope that one day he will come to know Christ and accept Him! God is so good, and I do not at all feel like it's a coincidence that we talked to a man that I could personally relate to through knowing how to play the drums. 

While reading my Bible today, I found a new favorite Bible verse and it relates to today's devotion. It reads, "I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me, for I have redeemed you." -Isaiah 44:22

I hope all is well at home. I love you Mom and Dad, Mama and Papa, Aunt Missy, Taylor, Kameron, and all of my family and friends for all of the support and I hope one day you can go to Haiti with me again! Shoutout to Mrs. Cardin, Maggie is doing great!

GOD BLESS,
Orevwa :)

1 comment:

  1. Kylee, as soon as I started to read this, I knew it was from you! I am so proud of you Chica! I love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete