Sunday, July 24, 2011

WOW

Things have been crazy here in Haiti and beyond.... I don't know how many updates I can do from now on (the next three weeks I am here) but I will try my best.  On Friday my computer "died" here at the Arris house.  I think it was just "preserving itself" because it was VERY hot and humid and the fan did not sound like it was working well.  But, I sent it back home to the US to have someone look at it and fix it (I pray they can) but that means I have to borrow someone's computer to update.  :(  Sad Sad... UNLESS someone wants to come down here in the next three weeks and bring it back to me- hint hint!!

The team all got off yesterday with no problems and the car is currently in the shop getting all the things fixed that need to be fixed (I pray).... the man's name is Jimmy and I had a "chat" with him and explained that if he is reasonable and treats me well that I will use him for ALL my future work, but if he "rips me off" or doesn't do a good job that I will never come back.  I think he understood and he sure seemed MUCH better than the other guys I have been dealing with.  So pray with me that this does the trick.  Reliable transportation is the key here in Haiti for sure...

One of the participants (Kim) from last week is really not feeling well.  We do not know how she got sick but she got some kind of "bug" that made her ill for four days now.  As I am writing this she is home in North Carolina but she is in the ER at her local hospital so please pray for her- that they can figure out what is wrong and help her feel better.  She herself says she took every precaution but must have caught something.  I feel so bad for her but I praise God she is able to get medical care in the US cause I am not sure of the quality of care she would have gotten here in Haiti.

God really used the team last week to teach me MUCH.  He showed me (through them) that we have three immediate needs.  First we need reliable transportation - that is large enough for a team and can make the drive to/from Chaveneau regularly.  The short bus sounds perfect but will be about $5000 total (we think).... we are still checking into how to ship it and what all is involved in that.  Then we would have the bus and the "truck" that we have now.  Pray that gets fixed well and that God shows me whose name to register it in this week when we switch the title.  I do not know if Hearts United can "own" a vehicle in their name or not and how that works.

Secondly, we need a place to house teams that is a little less "primitive" than Chaveneau.  We feel God is leading us to rent somewhere in Chantal (the nearest town- about 3 miles from the church/school) and are praying He will show us a house with "western toilets" or the ability to install them, showers, a gate/fence to keep out the Haitians, etc... that we can rent REASONABLY.  Pastor Duval will check with some people he knows there and I will travel later this upcoming week to see if I can find a place- if so I will let you know about it so you can pray with us.

Finally, we need TEAMS - medical teams are the most needed.  Nutrition is key - children can not learn if they are hungry or unhealthy.  We saw (again) so many who were in need of good medical care, dental care and were very hungry and malnourished.  Pray God will send people to us who are willing to help us and work with us to help this community.  We also need construction teams- to build steps to the roof of the church to house teams (no more ladder), to build shower stalls, to finish the outhouses, etc...   If you are interested in ANY of these things or in helping raise funds toward any of these projects, let us know PLEASE.

That's all for now... God is at work here in Haiti for sure- we had SUCH a blessed week last week- handing out dresses and bags to the girls/women, handing out backpacks to the boys, teaching VBS to the children, teaching English to the community, etc...  Yes, things were rough at times- emotionally, physically, and the conditions were far from "ideal" for a team, but the group rose to the occasion, did not complain and really served God.  I KNOW they will hear "well done good and faithful servant" some day for their commitment to Him this past week.  I know I was blessed so much by each of them.  It would not have been the same team without just one of them along.

As for me personally, I am learning and growing too.  I am realizing more and more that God HAS called me here and He is with me.  Driving home from Chaveneau (5 hours on Haitian roads) was just one way He has confirmed that.  I am blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment