Thursday, July 28, 2011

HOORAY

I am writing this blog entry still in a state of disbelief.  Yesterday was such an amazing day – filled with the many blessings only God can give and His presence in the process was so evident.  To begin this story, let’s travel back in time about a year.  When I first met Michael, I was the first American he had really ever known well.  We spent MANY hours (those of you who knew us last summer can attest to this) talking together, praying together, sharing our stories/dreams, sharing what God was doing in Haiti and in our individual lives, etc… I have only been that close to a few people in my life- my dearest friends and Michael became one of those “friends”.  I have introduced him to people for the past year as my “Haitian son”.  I loved the opportunity God blessed me with—to pour into him and “mentor” him, to give advice, to share verses with him, etc.  We had fun together and from that relationship Hearts United with Haiti was born.  It was the vision God gave both of us initially- one to reach the Haitian people and give others a chance to do the same but one of us working side by side- mom and son forever.  God has changed that vision over the past year and that is good- Hearts United with Haiti is MUCH more than just a dream of two people for Haiti- God has now made it obvious that He wants this ministry to grow and reach MANY... and it's sooo exciting to be part of it- I am so blessed!

Fast forward about six months and God began to bring other Americans into Michael’s life.  This was a good thing but as time progressed and he became more “sure” of our relationship things changed.  I truly transitioned to the role of “mom” and not as much “friend”.  Though I loved it and it’s where God had placed us, I have to be honest and admit that mom’s are not always FUN and EXCITING like friends are.  Mom’s question you, mom’s tell you things you sometimes don’t want to hear, mom’s worry about you, mom's talk about details/agendas/lists, etc…  While this Is exactly where God has both of us and while we still figuring out these new roles this summer, I admit that part of me still longs for my “buddy” from last summer.  That son/friend who would laugh with me and would share stories with me about his day.  Now he has a girlfriend he can not wait to talk to daily, he has many American friends to call/talk to about his life, he has others to minister alongside, etc… Now when we talk we have Hearts United “business” to discuss (What are we going to do about the car?  Where will we get the money for this or that?  When should we put another trip on the schedule?) There are times I feel “replaced” and left out even though I have only to look to God for my strength- not a person.  I have explained to Michael many times this summer, "feelings are not always justified, but they are still just as real". 

This is why I was soooooo blessed that God let me play a part in Michael getting his travel visa yesterday.  The day began actually a little after midnight when he woke me to say “goodnight” and to pray about the appointment.  I had gone to bed early (as usual) and he had agreed to wake me to pray when he finally came to bed.  We prayed together and I watched as he walked to the other side of the roof to sleep on his cot under the stars for four hours until I woke him at 4:15 am to get ready. 

We left for the appointment at 5:30 and arrived shortly after 7 am. at the gate.  We had heard previously that they would probably not let me into the appointment but I had called my congressman’s office and sent an e-mail asking for permission to enter the waiting area- not the appointment.  We have been planning and praying for this appointment since he was denied last September (on my birthday) when we first tried.  All we have talked about is, “When you come to America and stay at my house, I will take you here or I will show you this or I want you to meet this person”.  So, we were both excited but when we got to the gate they refused to let me enter the courtyard- only Michael could enter.  I was told I needed to wait outside on the street. It did not matter that I had contacted so many and thought I had everything organized.  Just like God to step in and say, "If YOU had it all arranged, there is no need/room for ME to work".  

Long story short- one of the guards was amazing and he was worried about me so he made sure I had a safe place INSIDE the embassay to wait.  On the way into the building we could see Michael in the crowd of Haitians waiting to get into their appointments.  The guard was awesome and very helpful and he was certainly used by God as part of the process.  I waited inside another section of the embassy until I was called on the phone and told I could meet Michael outside.  I spent my time with a book in hand but found myself often in prayer or just thinking of things we will do/see when he comes to America instead of reading it.  I felt peace and had a chance to talk to the many guards and people inside the embassy.  When I finally met Michael outside the gate and gave him a BIG hug (not too much- I am his “employer”- not  “American mom/friend” as far as they were concerned- hahahaha)  I got to hear how God worked from his end. 

If he had not been moved to the front of the line, maybe things would have been different.  If he had had a different consular officer, maybe things would have been different.  If he had not brought just the right papers along, maybe things would have been different.  If ….  

Last year we had ALL the papers we needed in a big binder- letters of reference,  invitation letters, a letter from my congressman, copies of my passport and verification of my employment, photos of my house/my family/him in ministry, a paper proving he had no criminal record in Haiti, bank statements from his accounts in Haiti, papers from his college proving he was enrolled, etc… We formed a group on facebook and had MANY people praying at the time of his appointment.  Yet, when he was taken into the room, they did not even ask for any of the paperwork, they just told him he was not eligible.  It was over in a matter of minutes.  It was not meant to be.

This year it WAS meant to be and it is amazing now to sit and see God’s hand in all of it.  God is amazing and I can not WAIT for Michael to fly to America with me when I return in 3 weeks.  I can not wait to FINALLY do all the mom/son things  we have planned for  a year… and I can not wait for many of you to get to meet him- FINALLY.   I know he will have many other chances over the years to come and visit me and many others he cares about- he has TONS of work for Hearts United with Haiti to do in the USA, but for this visit (the FIRST) I pray we have a chance to make some great memories and God blesses me with the chance to be “buddy/mom/friend” – all during the time he will be in Pennsylvania.  You have no idea how surreal this seems to me still.  To have this day/time finally come.  To be able to show him the United States- MY home, MY church, MY community, MY friends when I have spent so much of the past year in his.  God is sooooo good. 

So pray as we plan this visit.  That we will take TIME to enjoy the experience.  That we will not become so focused on “doing” and will just concentrate on “ being”.  There will be many years for ministry, this will be a pleasure trip-  one that is LONG overdue.  Amen!!

PS- if you or your church would like to host Michael in the future, please contact us and we will help you arrange that.  God is at work through Hearts United with Haiti and Michael is an important part of that work.  You will be truly blessed hearing about his ministry here and what God has been doing in his life as well as the many opportunities you have to be part of the ministry Pastor Duval has here in Chaveneau.  Check out the website to schedule trips, to support this ministry, and./or to hear how God is at work in Haiti. :)  www.heartsunitedwithhaiti.org

No comments:

Post a Comment