Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A few words from Lisa "Speedy" Witcher

As we wrap up Tuesday, I am so humbled to be a part of this trip.  This morning we talked about all those who have been called to this mission: those of us here, those who helped financially, those who are praying for our team and those who provide moral support to name a few.  All of you reading the blog are part tooJ   Our devotional was focused on being available to God’s calling.  We should all strive to be available to daily opportunities. 
                This morning a few of us had the opportunity to visit a nutrition clinic.  It focuses on women who are pregnant through childbirth and healthy nutrition for them and their baby afterwards.  We drove up to the clinic and there were women waiting in line.  We got inside and the courtyard of the house was filled with women – waiting to take care of their babies.  So many little cherubs – waiting to grow up (and hopefully to serve God).  These women are assigned a day to come and then it’s first come, first serve so they begin showing up at 5 in the morning.  It was after 9 when we got there and they were all just patiently waiting to be seen.  One of our team members, Tera, saw a few of the clients.  These women just want what’s best for their children – and they are willing to do anything to provide for them – just the same as us.  My heart was saddened as we left.  A man was outside the clinic on the street with his baby in a cardboard box – like a playpen.  Still trying to provide the best he could.  My role there was a painter.  There was a room that needed painting and Alex, Lesa and I worked on that. 
                This afternoon we headed back to the orphanage for bible school.  On the way, we passed someone on the sidewalk and Victoria mentions, “they have my same backpack.”  It struck me that we are all a child in God’s eye and he loves us no matter what circumstances we are in.  Haitian/American we are all the same – created by the King.  Our focus for VBS was on the Fiery Furnace and that Faith will get us through. 
                Back at home Roy had already prepped a “furnace” for the kids to walk through.   We assembled it and part of the class was spent re-enacting the story.  We selected someone to be King and demand the three to bow down to the statue and when they don’t, send them to the furnace.  The little girls could hardly do it.  They didn’t want to be mean to their “sisters.”  One little girl even covered her face.  These children are in an orphanage and have overcome circumstances I can only imagine and yet they couldn’t find it in their heart to even pretend to be mean or stern.  It was amazing, inspiring and humbling all in one! 

                Two other thoughts I’d like to close with: walk through life WITH people and God doesn’t make mistakes.  My favorite quote of the trip so far: roosters would make good dog food.   All my love to Brian, Kara and Kaylie.  Thank you for allowing me the time to attend on this trip.  I know you’re all fine but I still miss you immensely!!!                                                            ~ Lisa Witcher (aka Speedy Witcher)

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, what an uplifting story. Blessings all around. God is great! The story about the children who didn't want to be mean to other children is touching. I can definitely take lessons from them (laughs). All of you are an inspiration to me and I mean that from the bottom of my heart! I know this mission is not easy but all of you are giving your all to spread God's words. Prayers and love to all.

    Marilyn and Gary, tonight (Wednesday), Mark and I miss you more than ever! Free pie night��!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I was filled with such joy reading your post! It's always such a humbling experience to know that God chose us as Christians to be His hands and feet (Rom. 10:14-15). He chose us, with our imperfections, sin, pride and lack of confidence to be the ones who show His Love, His Word & His Son with the world. I'm reminded of what Paul wrote when he talked about boasting, weakness and the Power of Christ in
    2 Corinthians 12:9-10 "And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong."
    My prayer for all of you (really all of God's children), is that we would be weak; weak so that the Power of Christ may show through us all with those we come into contact with. His strength will sustain us all when we allow ourselves to be vessels for the Gospel of Christ.
    In Him,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I tried to post yesterday but it didn't work and now everyone else has beat me to it! Ah well....

    We ARE doing well and I'm glad you are too. Your love never ceases to amaze me. Clearly your heart continues to grow....if that's even possible. It was already pretty big to begin with. I can't wait to show your post to the girls so they can learn from your example.

    Love,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete