Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday

Today was a great day, we were all refreshed after a great church service yesterday as well as a trip to the beach. We all started off the morning bright and early, which wasn't too bad, in fact it was nice since a few of us stayed on the roof and chatted for a while. Once we started our trek to the orphanage we got to experience Monday morning traffic in Haiti. As we sat in the hot bus not moving very fast, we all realized how blessed we are to live in a place where it doesn't take half a day to run a few errands. Eventually we made it to the orphanage and started off our busy morning. It was exciting to see everything the girls remembered from the previous lessons this week, they seemed to be much more active in the learning today which was neat to see. After we were done teaching we all made cross necklaces with the girls and gave them bracelets that had the 7 C's listed on them. Even after all of that we still had a lot of time before the girls could leave. Each group today, once they were finished with the lesson, took their group of girls into a room to go "shopping" for a few new outfits. To keep themselves entertained for the rest of the wait they sang and danced. I learned a Haitian song during that time and taught the girls a song in english which they caught onto quickly. Their voices are so beautiful and listening to them sing is amazing! After a little wait, these very patient girls were able to go get their new outfits. These activities alone took up our whole morning, so we took our lunch break. After lunch we were out with the girls again having fun:) I brought a jump rope that I (with the help of Riley Barnett) had made and the girls loved it. They are crazy good at jumping rope and can move in and out as well as spin while jumping with such ease. The jump rope and bubbles kept them busy for a long long long time, in fact I think they were playing with them until about 15 minutes before we left. They say you learn something new all the time and today, that rang true. As I walked down the steps, some of the older girls looked at me and said, "Kayleigh! Pa belle!" and started laughing. I had a little girl, Shelove, do my hair and I knew it was a mess so I had no doubt that pa belle meant ugly. It was pretty funny and soon enough someone was already taking my hair down to redo it. Luckily it turned out better the second time, although I did enjoy every moment with Shelove. As she was doing my hair she was humming to herself and all of a sudden she turns my head up to her and kissed my cheek, looking then at me and giving me a huge smile. I think I will remember that moment for a long time. The time here has gone by so quickly and I have enjoyed so many little moments like that on this trip. Tomorrow is our last day with the girls before we head home and it should be a blast. We have a party planned and are ready to celebrate the girls. The chickens should make it to the orphanage with us (we are picking them up on our way and bringing them on the bus.) God has been providing everything we need here and is showing himself to be faithful and at work once again.
-Kayleigh Shillinger

3 comments:

  1. Warm Greetings! How lovely it has been to hear each of your stories and sharing on a daily basis, you have all done fantastic sharing on the work of the Lord through you as He lays His plans and completes through your hands and feet and in the love you are sharing to His people. Thank you for including us in this venture you have taken physically but for all of us who are walking it spiritually with you. God is amazing and so worthy to be praised! Each trip has shown His work and it is encouraging to see the continuation of His plan. Thank you for your willingness to sacrifice and love on His people as He has called you to do. It is a joy and privilege to pray for each of you. I look forward to hearing the stories after you return. For now thank you for sharing as you have, we are grateful. I love and miss my Sarah and I am counting on her obedience to be on her scheduled flight home. :) Love Sarah's Mom/Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Praying for safe and smooth travel tomorrow!
    Praying you all get through traffic and dropped off at the airport there in Haiti with plenty of time to check in and get through Customs and Security.....without a hitch!!
    I'm so proud of all of you!
    The posts you have written have been like a life-line from you to us here at home. Thank you for writing them with such care and Thank YOU God for allowing internet and power so we received enough of them to keep us comforted that all is well!
    I think there will be a screech of JOY when I see you Holly, that will be heard at the Orphanage there in Haiti!
    You have been good and faithful servants of God, now come home and keep that mission going!
    Safe and restful travel!
    Love and Prayers,
    Char/Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily and Katie, I am hoping (and praying) that this has been an awesome week for you and you both felt Jesus's love. I pray you all have been healthy. I am thinking of you today and knowing how hard it will be to leave those sweet children and know it will be so bittersweet for you. Just know how you have ministered to these kids in a way that they really needed and neither you girls or they will forget it. I love you both and pray for safe travels. See you soon, love, mom (I'm excited for your stories and hope you took lots of pictures!!!)

    ReplyDelete