Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 3

The word that comes to the forefront of my mind today is: INSPIRATION! Since arriving in Haiti, the power has gone out just before dinner (5:30 PM ish) and has been restored sometime after we fall asleep (11:00 PM ish) allowing for additional fans to run in our rooms at night and light to shower by in the morning. Last night we learned a nearby transformer had blown and that we would most likely not enjoy the convenience of our nighttime electricity. We also learned our water supply is running low. The city water is only on occasionally and there is a pump (that requires electricity) that transports water to a reservoir on the roof. To say we are at the mercy of perfect timing is an understatement! Sounds like adding insult to injury, right? That's where the inspiration comes in. Not a single one of us took this news in distress. Instead, game plans for worst-case scenarios were hatched and we continued on. How inspiring! How refreshing!

At the orphanage, Ronni and I are working with a group of about thirteen 12-14 year olds. This morning during our group time they not only remembered the topics we had covered the two previous days but also the verse of scripture we had asked them to memorize. I could not have been more proud of them! I am so inspired by their joyful and open hearts!

On a personal note: I can say with 100% confidence that I have never sweated so much in my entire life. Nor have I ever been quite so dirty. But you know what? I couldn't be happier! Both are a small price to pay for such a rewarding experience. I knew this trip would inspire gratitude for all the things I take for granted but I had NO IDEA the depth of it! I'm excited to tell you all the tiny details and am looking forward to what the next three days will bring!

I miss you all more than you know! Love, hugs and smiles...

Holly

P.S.
As I'm sure you've noticed, I have NO service on my phone (even after I thought I would). I think I've touched my phone maybe once since I've been here. Can't even begin to tell you how liberating it is! I have no idea what any of you are up to which is so strange but it only makes catching up with you when I return all the more sweet! See you soon!

Hi - it's Becky again.  I know it comes as no surprise that I have a little more to say but had to end last night because of electricity issues (we've had none since Friday morning).  I wanted to mention how easy us girls have it because we basically play with and just love on the kids.  The guys have the heavy, hot work with building the chicken coops.  And they are terrific looking chicken coops!
Also, just so Grandma doesn't worry -  When Ronni said we travel up a steep mountain, I wanted to clarify that it is a steep paved road in the city.  There are times we think the school bus is The Little Engine That Could as we silently say, "I think I can. . . I think I can."  And I only grabbed Ronni's hand once on the climb.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Holly!
    So good to hear your "voice"!
    It sounds like you all are doing well even when circumstances are challenging! (Not sure I would be so good! Not surprised, right??)
    I'm reminded of one of the Names of God, Jehovah Jireh, the Lord will Provide. Anything good that happens, happens because our God provides.....in HIS time, not ours.
    Philippians 4:19
    "And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory in Christ Jesus."
    Praying you have water when you need it and electricity to pump it up the roof, as you need it, when you need it!
    Our God will Provide!
    Love and Prayers to all of you,
    Char/Mom!
    P.S. Becky, I'm assuming the Haitian Boyfriends are in the 5 to 10 year old variety! Thanks for being the MOM! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete