Thursday, June 26, 2014

My first (not last) Haiti trip

Hello all!
To begin, I am so blessed that I have stayed healthy thus far on the trip. One of my biggest fears coming here was getting sick and not being able to participate in everything going on. Praise Jesus that I am healthy and feeling great!
Today we spent the day at the orphanage. We began the day by grouping the kids up and teaching a lesson on creation. Katie and I taught the girls ages 8-11. Although it was difficult because of the language barriers, our translator did an amazing job helping us out. The girls were pretty shy at first but opened up pretty quickly.
 Although I have only been here one day, I know this will not be my only visit to Haiti. It was so amazing today watching and interacting with the girls. It was a nice change of pace to see kids being entertained by simply playing with a piece of string and a button, kicking around a ball, or braiding each others hair. Being able to simply hug and hold these girls was an amazing feeling that I will never forget. They enjoyed singing to me and laughing at my dance moves :)
 We will be going to the orphanage again tomorrow and I can't wait to learn more about them.
Jack- Say hello to Marley for me. :) I miss and love you. Hope everything is going well!
Shout out to Mama Sue. We love you.

Emily


4 comments:

  1. Emily, Thank you so much for writing on the blog.....you KNOW I have been thinking of you girls and your whole team all the time (and praying too!). I'm so thankful things are going well and that you are loving it. I know while you are blessing those kids, you are also being blessed. I love you so much....keep writing! I'm so excited for you. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things... first, so happy that you followed God's call to go down to Haiti and work with the girls at the orphanage.
    Second, there is no way that your dance moves compare to mine!!

    -Your favorite brother-in-law

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy to hear from you I know you will love these orphans. they are so precious. Will keep you in my prayers that you will continue to stay healthy and safe. Love to you both Grandma H

      Delete
  3. Hey Ronni! Just wanted to let you know that Char sent me a picture from Instagram of you riding on the short bus! Was good to see you! Trusting you all had a day of blessing the girls, and being blessed in return. We all enjoy the posts made by different people each day and partaking in the trip in this way. And it sounds like you never know what adventure might be around the next corner; so this quote from the Jesus Calling devotional seems appropriate for all: "Open your hands and your heart to receive this day as a precious gift from Me. By the time you rise from your bed, I have already prepared the way before you." I am so thankful that God continues to prepare the way each day; and remember, we continue to pray for the whole group. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete