Sunday, December 18, 2016

Reality (sorry- long post)

       By now you all know that I went to Chaveneau  just to “BE”.  I didn’t really have an agenda.  Yes, I wanted to practice Creole.  Yes, I wanted to visit my friends.  Yes, I wanted to hear stories and see the reality of living life in the wake of the hurricane.  But, basically I just wanted to be there.  With the people I know and have had relationship with for over six years.  I wanted to have some time to pray and to seek some answers from God about our ministry here in Haiti.  I wanted to go back to the place where it all began- this love affair with the country & people that have become such a part of my life.

       And, that I did.

       In the process God taught me.  He stretched me.  He grew me.  And, He showed me HIS heart for people once again.

        One of the lessons that was most impactful was just coming to understand reality for MANY living in Haiti- hurricane or not.  Education is important.  That is one thing that originally brought me to Chaveneau in 2010.  Pastor Duval had wanted me to talk to the community about the importance of getting a good education for their children but that wasn’t a difficult job.  The parents knew that with a good education their children would stand a better chance in life and would have many more opportunities outside of Chaveneau (or even if they remained).

       My first morning in Chaveneau the youngest of Isaie’s children (Dorothy) got up and ready for school .  She looked soooo cute in her little blue school uniform with ribbons in her hair and little black shoes on her feet.   She took so much time ironing pleats in her skirt in the morning before putting the uniform on.  She asked me to take a photo of her before she left and then she was out the door.

       About an hour later I was sitting on the porch at the church when Dorothy came back.  Tears stained her cheeks and I could tell there was a problem.  I asked her brother (who was home because he had exams in the afternoon) what was wrong.  He explained that they sent Dorothy home because Isaie had not been able to pay for school.  Dorothy could not return for exams or to continue with her classes until her past due balance was paid.

       When Isaie returned after working at the school she was told about the situation.  As one mother to another I could just see the pain it caused- and the embarrassment because I was there to see how she was unable to provide for her daughter.  I sat with her and we talked.  She broke down and cried openly telling me how tough it was since her husband left.  She had paid school for her older 3 children but had a small balance for the 4th one, a larger balance for her oldest who is in school in Port au Prince, and this big balance for Dorothy.  When asked how much she told me that it was about 6,650 gourdes (about $100 US).  She explained that if she could not pay for Dorothy that she would be unable to return after Christmas break and would need to repeat this grade next year.
She was NOT asking me for help.  In fact, she was embarrassed to tell me all this.  I could tell.  I know her well.  I explained that I know what a good mother she is and that Dorothy does too.

       Unfortunately, the children understand all too well the impacts this hurricane and loss of property (and need to use funds for things like mattresses or food or fixing the roof) have had on their mom and family.  They were silent as she called them together to pray and talk about the situation.

       When planning my trip to Chaveneau I thought I would need to sleep in the church so I when Redgi left I put all my money into the glove box of the car and away he drove.  I kept only a little spending money just in case someone in the church decided to make a desperate move and go “shopping” in my purse one night while I slept.  But, that was not to be the case.  Instead, Isaie had cleared a small room in her home for me and set up a bed and table.  Anyway-  the point is that I didn’t think I had funds even if I did want to swoop in and help.  But, as I prepared for bed I remembered that years ago Redgi told me that I needed to keep a secret stash deep in my purse in a compartment there just in case we were ever out and had car trouble or anything and needed money.  I knew it was there “for such a time as this”…..

       I called Isiae into my room and explained just that.  How I had an emergency stash for things just like this.  And as tears ran down her cheeks and her lip quivered I knew without a doubt that was what the money was intended for.
 
       The next morning Dorothy ran off to school and afterward Isiae produced a receipt to show that she had used the funds I gave her for paying toward her past due balance.  Not that I needed proof.  I know this woman is so honest.  But, to show that the figure she had given me was true.  The balance that is still owed (about another $40 US) was clearly noted on the paper, but this money I gave was enough to buy them time.

        I called this post “Reality” because THIS is the reality of Haiti.  Daily living is tough enough- much less when something catastrophic such as this hurricane comes along.  I understand the school still needs to pay their teachers.  I praise God it is still open and providing some sort of normalcy to the children in the community.  But, I was sad that these families are still expected to pay their balances with all the losses they have recently had.  But….. what other solution is there?  Sadly, none that I can think of.

          I just thank God that I was in Chaveneau at the time when my friend needed a little boost.  I know how that feels.  I have had people reach out and help our family in times when things were rough.  I praise Him for letting me share a little joy with this family.

        I think of the families who didn’t have their past due amounts paid.  The children who will have to repeat school next year due to this tragedy.  One more ripple effect from this storm.  My heart breaks at the thought of all those parents having to go through the same situation as my friend but don’t have the same ending.   Will they even be able to pay next year with all the loss of crops and animals they usually use to pay for school?  When I look around I don’t know how long it will take to recover or if many ever really will.

         This hurricane came…. like a rock thrown against an already thin piece of glass covering a window.  First there were cracks and you could see how delicate the situation was.  But now, you can hear the creaking and groaning under the weight of the rock.  How long until the glass cracks and the rock falls completely through?  How much other damage will be done in the process?  Will the pieces ever be able to be put back together without leaving scars/signs of the attempted repairs?  How will those scars affect the view of the world outside in the future?  So many questions…… only time will reveal the answers.

       YOU can be part of helping with recovery efforts.  It may not help fast enough like this situation, but you can let the people of Chaveneau know that they are not forgotten.  That they are loved- so much that strangers are willing to come alongside them to offer a little kindness along the way.  That they can continue to move forward toward recovery.  And, maybe someday they can reach out to another in need.  We never know how our actions can impact the future and the ways God can use a little to bless MANY.  Thank you for all your support!
Dorothy -proud to be home from school on the day her past due tuition was paid.  























No comments:

Post a Comment