Friday, December 30, 2016

Hannah's blog

     Today we went to the orphanage to visit the kids. On our way there, we stopped by the local bakery to pick up two cakes for the party that we held for the kids. Once we arrived at the orphanage, all of the children’s faces lit up. We spent all morning playing with them. We got to know the kids better and were able to engage in their games that they like to play which include: soccer, braiding hair, hand clapping games, and taking tons of photos.

     In the afternoon Lucas, Robin, and I taught the kids a lesson. We made bead bracelets in advance and each bead’s color had a significant meaning. There were six colors total, black, red, white, blue, gold, and green. We were able to explain the plan of Salvation to the kids using these. It was awesome because the kids listened and asked us questions after the lesson was finished. After the question and answer session, we asked the kids to bow their heads and to say a prayer to their self if they wanted to be saved. I do not know if any of them prayed the prayer, but I am praying that God will do work in each one of their life.

     After the lesson each child had the opportunity to go shopping and pick out two clothing items of their choice. Also, each child also received a pack of playing cards, colored pencils, hair accessories, and a beanie baby. The older girls could choose between a make-up bag, hair gel, a nail file or a measuring tape. The younger girls got to take their pick of a small water bottle, hair ribbon, or a book. Each child received a bracelet that we made for them to remind them of the lesson that we taught. It was so cool to see their faces light up when they were able to pick out what they wanted.

     To conclude our day at the orphanage we were able to help serve them dinner. Their plates were full of rice and beans and chicken. I could tell that they were all antsy to eat a tasty meal. It smelled so good! Unfortunately, we did not get to stay for cake time, but I am sure that they loved it.  

     I am so glad that I had the opportunity to experience the orphanage today.  I hope that we were able to help the children understand more about the plan of salvation and they realize how much God loves them. I am praying that we can witness to them more if we go back on Monday (which I think we are).

-          
     --Hannah Campbell 

2 comments:

  1. Keeping you and your team in our prayers. Sounds like your trip to the orphanage was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to read the posts about the kids at Life is Wealth and the people within the community. I miss Haiti so much and wish I was there to meet all of the students from Malone. I'm sure you're all serving in wonderful ways as the girls from Malone did two years ago when I was there. Cassandra and Anthony, I hope all is going well with you. Thinking and praying for you all lots this week! :) Much love, Kylee Kidwell

    ReplyDelete