Saturday, December 17, 2016

No Words to describe....

IHere I am, sitting in a guest house in Les Cayes, Haiti.  I have a room complete with air conditioning (most of the time), hot and cold running water, food 3 x per day, and a soft bed to sit on.  All things I have not had the past five days when living in Chaveneau.  But, frankly, I needed this time to process and pray about all that I experienced while living in the countryside that has been ravaged by Hurricane Matthew over 2 mos. ago.

I am hoping to share SOME of the stories over the next few days, but please know that the needs are plenty.  There was not a home that was spared from at least some damage to the structure.   Or a family that didn't lose crops or animals-  potential income they would have had toward the future.  The needs are so great that I hardly know where to spend the remaining funds we have available.

So far we have given seeds (beans/corn), food (initial relief kits, boxes and boxes of fortified rice, etc...), medicine, hygiene products, construction materials (tin, nails, hammers, etc...).  We have had water purification tablets and small filters donated and distributed until our water system can be operational again (and donations to get it up and running once the repair team is free to do so).  Small trees were donated and will be distributed by the local church on 12/18 along with wire to keep the trees safe while they grow and begin to bear fruit in the years to come.

Do you continue to do a LITTLE for many or do you focus on doing a LOT for only a few?  I honestly still can't answer that question since I can see pros and cons to both forms of recovery assistance.

What I CAN do is pray. (and believe me, I have- a lot!)

I CAN tell the stories.

I CAN advocate for these people I love.

And I CAN promise that should you decide to donate toward relief efforts, we will see that your gift is used wisely and with complete accountability.

** You can donate online (www.heartsunitedwithhaiti.org) or by sending a check to Hearts United with Haiti  PO Box 55, Morgantown, PA 19543.  We would be honored if you would consider us for your end-of-year donation (tax deductible- we are a 501c3 organization)

 (note:   I used personal funds for my stay in the guest house- funds donated for Hurricane recovery go directly to benefit the people who need it most!)

This is the kitchen of a family in the mountains by Chaveneau.  They salvaged what they could and built this little area to hold their cooking supplies.  They sleep under a home that is not much better- repaired from whatever scraps could be salvaged.  Please pray for funding for homes for these people BEFORE the rains start to fall again in the spring (or sooner)

No comments:

Post a Comment