Saturday, December 17, 2016

Grandpa

I told you of Widelande and her family in another blog.  I was prepared (somewhat) for what I would find when I got to her house.  On the way there we had talked about the experience, losing her home, riding out the storm by hiding under a table as the walls fell, etc....  But, when we got there I saw something I was not prepared for.  You see, her family is now living at the church.  All except for "Grandpa".  Grandpa is not a Christian so he refuses to stay at the church.  Instead, he chooses to stay on their old property- living in an area that used to be a porch.  He has fashioned it into a little room for sleeping by covering it with a tarp and some tin.

I didn't meet Grandpa because he was not there when I was, but I can just imagine this old man laying on an old salvaged door with his little blanket as a cover.  His jeans and a few other clothes lay around in the room he calls home now.  How quiet and lonely it must be at night.

The sad part?  He is TRULY alone out there.  He doesn't know the comfort and peace that only comes from Jesus.  I can't even begin to imagine what that is like.  I can't imagine going through what some of these people went through in the storm, but to do so without faith is beyond what I can grasp.  My comfort comes in knowing that though I might feel alone, I am never truly alone.  I have a God who loves me and will care for me. And, should my physical body perish in the process, I have the assurance that I will be with Him in paradise- where there is no more suffering or pain.  But, this man doesn't have that.  It truly broke my heart for him.

I asked Widelande if I could have a few minutes there- in quiet.  I prayed for him.  I prayed he comes to know God through this situation.  I prayed for his family who can be a witness of God's provision and protection.  Will you join me in praying for "Grandpa"??  (I lost the paper with his name, but God knows)


**Also... if you feel led to give financially to our Hurricane Matthew Recovery efforts we will use the funds to replace animals lost and (if we get enough funds) to help with rebuilding homes like this.
"Grandpa's" room before the storm was here.  This was his bed.  The wall fell and crushed it.  They told me many people were hiding under their beds when walls fell and they were crushed.  

The room where the tarp is used to be a porch.  He has covered it with tin and the tarp and now sleeps in there (behind that little rusty tin door held up by a stick).  The area behind that dresser in the foreground is where his room used to be (see photo above)

Another view of the door into Grandpa's house.  

We removed the door so I could see inside.  There are planks on the ground and an old door.  This is where he sleeps at night.  Here is where I sat to pray for him!  Oh Lord, how I pray he comes to know you who protected him in the storm.  

Another view-  this one shows the new house on the right- made from scraps of tin, trees that fell in the storm and crushed block for the foundation.  TRULY a humbling experience and one I will never forget.  Please pray for this family!  

No comments:

Post a Comment