Sunday, July 10, 2016

Day One According to Alicia!

Day 1 and 2
4:30am and we were off! As we drove to JFK airport it was a mixture of anticipation and nerves as we began a journey that for many of us was filled with uncertainties. We moved through security easily and were ready and waiting when our flight was called. Landing in Haiti was filled with customs, immigration, grabbing suitcases (one of which popped open!) and navigating through a busy airport surrounded by an unfamiliar language. The heat began to settle over us as we headed back to the base, and as we drove we started to take in the many sights, sounds, and smells of Haiti.
As the evening progressed we settled into our rooms, enjoyed our first Haitian meal (delicious!), and journeyed up the mountain to the overlook. Once we got out of the bus and began trekking up the mountain we saw the people and their homes and heard multiple church services taking place. The view from the overlook was incredible, but as I took everything in fear set in. Would I be able to push myself out of my comfort zone? Would I be able to love on the kids we would be working with his week? How would I interact without speaking the language?
The next morning began very early as we began rising around 3:30am (to Mel’s credit she thought it was 4:45 J). As we prepared for church the fears continued to linger. Heading into church we sat intermingled with the translators to give us an idea of what the next three hours would entail. The music began and the voices around us sang out to a familiar tune with words we didn’t understand. As the joy and passion rang out around us, tears began to fall as I took in the worship of our God in a language completely unknown to me.
As the service continued Pastor Robbie had everyone come up to us and give us a hug as a welcome. My translator barely translated the sentences before masses of people began to swarm around us. We were hugged and welcomed by people of all ages. The service continued for around three hours but ended with a wonderfully, cool cup of passion fruit juice! From the worship to the hospitality my fears began to decrease. I’m sure as we enter our first day of VBS tomorrow some of the fears will return but I am continuing to ask God for the strength needed for each day!

Alicia Miklas

No comments:

Post a Comment