Thursday, July 18, 2013

From Zeb

 Haiti is a place very different than I expected, here there is a feeling of community you rarely see. The Haitians know each other and those in their community and they are always interacting with each other as well as looking out for one another. They stay up late and get up just as early. Which consequently makes it difficult to sleep sometimes. Another thing that you can never prepare for with out first being here or going to another country with similar laws is the driving. As two buses squeeze by each other on a road as wide as an ally missing each other by fractions of an inch. In these situations sometimes things go wrong and we see an accident occur. Though even when things happen they argue for a moment at the top of their lungs then suddenly they're best friends hug and move on. Its something that I still marvel at after five days. Then there's the orphanage. I don't really know what I was expecting to see there but I can tell you with out a doubt in my mind it was in no way shape or form anything like how I might have expected  it to be. From the very moment we step off the bus each day there are orphans waiting to take your hand and walk with you. To have some close interaction with another human. Even though there is a language barrier between us which limits our communication we still manage to have fun and communicate. We will sit there and let them do our hair or play games, everything from keep away to basketball. All the while they never cease to have fun. Then when we threw them a birthday party and saw how much they can eat I was amazed. As a seventeen year old male I don't think I could eat as much as they did even if the food here is really good, but I knew I couldn't eat as much when they all came back for seconds and still somehow left room for cake afterwards. Though I was amazed at how much they could eat, the screams of joy and the smiles that stretched from ear to ear as they received their presents is one that I will never forget. The joy on their faces was plain and you could hear it in their voices. I hope to see it again today as we take them to the beach, somewhere many of them may never have been before and with each day passing it becomes harder for all of us who came to say goodbye. Though we have to say goodbye soon I hope that they see God through our actions and I pray they will never forget how he can provide. I know I have learned many things from them while here that will stay with me and many of them are not what I was expecting to learn.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment