Sunday, May 27, 2012

Jean Bernard Update

Well it's been quite a week!  Monday to the hospital, Tuesday surgery, Wednesday home, Thurs/Friday back for dressing changes and now we are "free" until next Friday when we return to have the stitches removed.  Each day Jean Bernard feels a little better (he was never really "down and out") and seems more and more frustrated because he feels good enough to do things but I won't let him.  I have had THREE different translators explain to him that he needs to rest and not play hard even though he feels good enough to play.  The incisions look amazing and I pray that they continue to do so but now they seem to have started to itch (healing) so I constantly find him sneaking away to scratch UNDER his dressing.  I keep trying to tell him that his hands are dirty and show him the dirt under his fingernails to prove it but he sneaks away later.  I am sure he is thinking I am quite a pain in the neck -- nagging him all the time but with the amount of money and time we have spent on getting him well we do not want any complications.

Today I will head to Carrefour.  I honestly just need a fun day away.  Spoke with a friend last night and they may be going to the beach later today so I may join them.  If not, Redgi and I will just go do something.  I would LOVE to rent the car and just drive around different areas of Carrefour and towns west looking at the lay of the land and praying about where it would be nice to have a base.  I have been getting some pretty strong feelings about a certain area but I hear it is unsafe.  BUT so is Carrefour if you ask people who do not live there.  If God calls us somewhere He will make it clear.  I also have another friend I may go visit.  This has truly been a trip of visiting friends and other ministries.  I still want to spend a few days with my friends in Carrefour (have been ministering there over 25 years) but they are "full" right now and having some other issues with their ministry so they asked me to wait until another trip- probably this summer.

JB will stay with either the Arris family or the Cornet's since my trip may take me overnight.  But, he will be fine and I will teach them how to care for his incisions and what his limitations are according to the doctor.  I will not be that far away that I can not just run back should the need arise.

Prayers are appreciated for this week.  I can only imagine as he feels better and better that he will give me more and more problems wanting to run around and play more.  Every time I have left him alone while here at the orphanage he has gotten himself into mischief:  taking a black crayon and writing all over the floor of my bedroom, pulling apart the pillow and beautiful bedspread in the room thread by thread so he has string to play with, etc... I even woke up from a nap one day to find him on the balcony outside my room playing soccer with the other children from the orphanage- diving for the ball and all.  (later he was literally laying on the bed in tears because his belly hurt)  I have gotten little sleep and I am dirty (there is no shower or working toilet here) so it is time to move to a place I have called "home" for almost two years.  They treat me well there and will help with JB's care.

As for money- I have honestly not sat and figured it all out but I know I had $800 cash on me (personal and ministry money) and I am down to less than $50 and I still have another week to provide food for this child and myself plus lodging and transportation to the hospital next Friday and today from the orphanage to Carrefour.  So I think it will cost us about $1000 US total for everything.  OOPS!  Your donations toward his care have been appreciated though- greatly!  If anyone would like to still contribute you may send in your donation via our website (heartsunitedwithhaiti.org) or you may mail it to Hearts United with Haiti  PO Box 55  Morgantown, PA 19543.  Clearly note that it is for Jean Bernard's surgery.  Thank you and God bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment