Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Operation Hernia- Day 2

post surgery- poor little guy- but he will feel MUCH better soon!  
Surgery is over, Dr. Felix is my hero, Molena is amazing and so is Redgi- enough said!  :)    Seriously- Went in the morning and they started IV's at about 10:30 - took him back at 12:30 and into the OR at about 12:45.  We (Molena and I) had to wait in the sun for over three hours outside the OR building just in case they needed anything during the surgery. Redgi came during that time (even though we told him we didn't need him- what a blessing he is!)  Dr. Felix came out at about 3:30 and said it was done and very successful but they had to use general anesthesia which they were trying to avoid.  He took a LONG time to come out of it and only at about 7 pm. did he finally know who I was and give me that JB smile.  He is in a LOT of pain but both hernias are repaired and we are looking forward to healing quickly.  Dr. Felix informed me that I will need to stay close to the hospital so that I can bring him in daily for dressing changes (which I am thinking I can do myself once shown how) and so they can see how he progresses.  Got him all set up with more fluids and antibiotic IV's and pain medication.  Total for today was another $150 (about).... OUCH!  This is getting to be more than I thought- "Welcome to Haiti boss" as Redgi would say.... Tomorrow I will bring in the wound care things I have here and hopefully they will work out fine.  I have tons of antibiotic cream, gloves, bandages, tape, etc... Will be staying at the orphanage with me until at least Sunday I think.  Then he should be well enough to go to Carrefour and we will see from there.

Anyway- I have had NOTHING to eat all day but a few almonds at 10:30 and a Ragaman (energy drink) and a few sips of Redgi's mango carrot juice.  I am exhausted and dirty and very very hungry/thirsty.  Will post more tomorrow but for now know that you ALL made this happen and that there's a little boy in Haiti who may not be happy right now, but soon will be so thankful that people cared enough to help him get this surgery.  God bless each of you as He has us down here!  :)
waiting area for the day- we sat in the sun on this porch and this was the view (people have to bring their own clothes/sheets so they wash them out back here)

No comments:

Post a Comment