Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Operation Hernia: Day 3



Well here it is 2 pm and WE are home already from the hospital.  YAY!  Went in this morning at 7 am and JB was all smiles.  He is in a lot of pain but his incisions look amazing!  I think Dr. Felix could get a side job as a tailor.  (hahaha)  Dr. came in this morning even though it's his day for paperwork and to present cases to the medical board for review so he is not in scrubs or his lab coat in the photo.  Sorry.  He spent a great deal of time talking to us and explaining things.  Overall everything looks GREAT.  I am amazed by how they do things here (differently) compared to how we do them in the USA.  Not better- not worse- just different.  I asked if I could have some ice to put on his incision area cause it is swollen and they laughed at me.  So.. now that we are "home" at the orphanage we will put ice on whenever and wherever I want!  ;)

Anyway, I don't really have time to write.  Just gave him his amoxicillin 250 mg. and some tylenol for pain (praise God we had both here at the orphanage) and he will be feeling better in no time.  I will have to take him every morning for a dressing change even though it already came off cause it didn't stick to the betadine they swabbed him with first- lol.  We will see how long that lasts.  I will talk to Dr. Felix and see if I can just clean/take care of it here.  I really CAN handle this but if there's anything I have learned in 2 years of working with Haitians it is that they have their way of doing things and it is right and any other way or opinion is wrong.  That's said with love (honest) but I find that over and over again.  From how I wash my clothes to how I cook my food to everything else including how to change a dressing on a wound.

Anyway- I am very sleep deprived and hot and I have a very sick little boy to attend to.  Thanks for your continued prayers- especially for the language barrier.  I want to help him but don't quite know how to get things across all the time.  Gestures go a long way but only so far.... mesi!

trying to skype with Jordan McRae..... :)  

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE that he has an arm band wrapped around his stethoscope just like we do here in the states! been praying for JB, keep up the good job nurse Crystal :) ~ Jessica

    ReplyDelete