Monday, May 21, 2012

Operation Hernia- Day 1


So... writing this when exhausted and after just getting home from the hospital.  Got up this morning and got ready only to find that Redgi was stuck in horrible traffic and wouldn't be able to get to me on time, the car was not back from taking Pastor's kids to school in PAP, couldn't find sheets for JB's bed at the hospital, etc... BUT everything has a way of working out when God's people get together and pray!  So, we arrived at the hospital (Pastor's son Lens took me and dropped me- I met James/JB and then Redgi met us later with the car) at 9:20 only to have the lady tell me "You can only come for the paper you need to admit him on Wed."... I was NOT taking that so I politely but firmly explained that we WERE there last Wed. AND Thurs. and she was not there to fill it out.  Friday was a holiday so we were back.  She filled it out and after paying for the surgery (2000 gourdes even though I was quoted 1000- blan surcharge??  I think so) he was admitted and sitting in his bed by 9:40!  No lie!  That was so fast.

Dr. Felix came down and talked to us forever and wrote prescriptions for the needed supplies (then I get a receipt).  We sent a man to buy the supplies while we went in search of a moneygram with no luck so we just went to the grocery store for some personal items for JB and some stuff for me.  Surgery should happen tomorrow morning around 9 am but we will see.  I am just relieved he is there and things are moving.  We went out and got some other needed supplies (basin, two folding chairs to sit on, etc..) and went back.  I sat with him for a long time and taught him how to play tic-tac-toe and he caught on quickly.  I let him win a bit in the beginning but now he can strategize. Tried teaching him the dot game (where you make boxes- not sure of the name) but he hasn't caught onto that one yet.  There's still time.

All told today's total expenses were about $ 225 US but that should be the bulk of the hospital supplies and things!  Tomorrow I leave at 6:30 am. to head into the hospital with Pastor (he will drop me at the front door) and I will spend all day waiting for JB to have surgery and making sure he is OK afterward.  I have been SO IMPRESSED by this whole process- they treat me well but they do the same for the other patients too.  Everyone is SO NICE (typical Haiti) and helpful.  Continue to pray - especially for Dr. Felix and Dr. Mathurin as they do the surgery.  Pray for Molina who is staying with JB overnight tonight and while he is in the hospital. Thanks again for caring!



No comments:

Post a Comment