Sunday, June 28, 2015

Updates 6/28

We had our first experience going to church in Haiti this morning. As I walked up to a structure covered by torn plastic and sheets, I was humbled. Watching worship unfold had me in awe. Not necessarily at what they were saying (I couldn’t understand most of it), but by how they were worshipping.  The passion they show for God and each other was moving. You can tell they LOVE fully and deeply. It’s inspiring to see people that don’t have much material wealth, have so much joy for God and one another.
After our eye-opening experience at Haitian church this morning, we headed to the Life is Wealth orphanage for the first time. I think we all had jitters not knowing what to expect. Will the girls like us? Did we prepare for VBS enough? Can we relate to them? Will they understand the message we are trying to get across?  All my jitters disappeared when a girl from the orphanage named Micky latched onto my arm within two minutes of walking off the bus. I sat her on my lap and we played with one another. Even though we didn’t speak the same language, we still connected. What an amazing thought that where words fail, love speaks. What an amazing thought that God connects us all through his unconditional love.
Jana


Today has been a very full day! We woke to the sound of roosters at 5am which was an interesting way to wake up!  We went to church this morning with the community and following that, we ate lunch and went to the orphanage.  Ally was so excited! As we got off the bus, the girls were chanting “Ally! Ally!”  They were so excited to see all of us and were full of hugs for each of us.  We were all nervous about VBS and excited to see if all our planning was worth it.  Everything went well and were all moved to be with these beautiful children.  We have experienced so much in two days.  It may take a while for me to process it and put it into words.  We are all doing well and everyone is healthy! One of the summer staff is not feeling well so prayers for Kylie would be greatly appreciated!  Continue to remember all of us in your prayers!  We love all of you and miss you so much!!  Lisa

I won’t repeat anything mentioned above, although I haven’t read any of it. After our worship service, I suddenly noticed a young girl, who was probably 6 or 7 years old, burst through all the adults standing up, she grabbed me and gave me the biggest hug. All I could say was, “Merry Christmas!” She disappeared as quickly as she appeared.  Now, I wonder why she did that?—Gary

Jeff, I was surprised by the nice card you wrote and received on my first day here.  You do have the biggest and warmest heart. Thank you for being such a loving Christian attitude.—Gary 

2 comments:

  1. Reading about your experiences is touching me in so many levels here at home. I can't imagine it's affect if I were there. I am in awe of the unconditional love and acceptance that is displayed through these children. Thank you all for sharing I am humbled and inspired. Sending bunches of love and continously praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete