Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Staff update

Hey all!
Just a quick introduction for those of you who don’t know me: my name is Michelle and I am on staff this summer! This is my third time I’ve been to Haiti and my second time being summer staff for Hearts United.  I just finished my undergrad degree this May and will be starting physical therapy school in the fall. (So this week’s medical-focused trip is extra exciting for me!) J
Today at the hospital I got to meet Sammy, the physical therapist on staff at Bernard Mevs. Listening to him tell us about the patients and the goals he had for them was so encouraging. His genuine compassion was shown in his attention to detail (such as careful positioning with foam and making sure they are moved every two hours to avoid bed sores). Another highlight was meeting an incredibly ingenious man named Thomas and his assistant Wilfred. Originally from Kenya, Thomas came to Haiti in 2010 to make prostheses for amputees. He is a true servant. His assistant Wilfred became a prosthetic technician after he received prosthesis after an injury from the 2010 earthquake resulted in his right lower leg being amputated. He is so full of life and thankful! Wilfred also started “Team Zayen” which is a soccer team made up of all amputee athletes who now travel the world encouraging other amputees by demonstrating their skills and teaching them how to play. 


Michelle






1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle! Just got your letter yesterday. :) Happy to pray for you and your team! I pray that God would use you guys to minister to the people in that area and that the Holy Spirit would move in that community, drawing people to Himself. Hope you're having a great time too! xoxo Mel

    ReplyDelete