Monday, June 29, 2015

Multiple Updates


It’s really weird, the orphans are really friendly. They don’t let language barriers get in the way of getting to know us. I played an impromptu game of hide and seek with a girl who nothing more than tagged me and ran away. It’s been humbling, it’s been hot, but more than anything else it’s been encouraging. Thank you for all the prayers. -Anonymous, aka Ford. 

Today we spent our first “normal” day, where we just went to the orphanage for VBS and play.  VBS today was a blast.  As the one of the co-leaders of games, Lexi and I made the decision to change our rotation from games to dancing.  These kids love to dance,  and trying to teach games through an interpreter really is not very effective.  With the first group, the 14+ girls, we taught them the cupid shuffle.  They really got into it, and had a fun time laughing at us Americans and our basic dance skills.  After that they taught us one of their dances.  I made a fool of myself trying to copy them, but they had almost as fun of a time dancing as they did making fun of me.  To wrap it up with them we taught them how to Whip and Nae-Nae, and it was awesome.  They already know how to Nae-Nae, but they took to the whip very well.  The younger groups were the same, except we played J.Biebs song Baby for them, and apparently that is one of their favorite songs.  It was extremely fun with all the groups, and it was the first time this trip I’ve really had the ability to connect with the kids.  While the culture and customs down here are vastly different, there are some things that appear to me as international language.  Sports and music are things that transcend culture, and allow us to connect with these kids in ways that makes it easier to bring them God’s word.  After VBS, some of us used the sport part by playing soccer with these kids, and although we can’t understand them and they can’t understand us, we both understand the game and had a great time while doing it.  Looking forward to the next day at the orphanage to spend more time with the kids for sure.  –Jeff G.

My whole life it has been my dream to go and do mission work. I always wanted to give. Little did I know that they would  give so much more to me. The man walking down the street says “Bonswa” with a smile on his face and love in his heart.  He gives me compassion. The lady on the corner asks us to pray for her children to be fed and to say thank you for what she has. She gives me courage.  The children at the orphanage who run up to me and hug me give me joy. I do not deserve to feel all this love and to feel so much joy. I am so flawed but they see not of that. I am no greater than they are. They have so much joy, joy I cannot even comprehend, but joy that I crave now. I cannot wait to go back to the orphanage tomorrow and do as much as I can. I can’t wait to see and feel their joy. All I can say is language is no barrier for love. Love breaks all barriers and love truly conquers all. Mesi Savior, Mesi Savior. Arevwa for now.                         
-Lexi Weaver

Today was our second day of VBS.  Yolanda and Trevor are co teacher with me in the youngest group.  It is crazy that we have a large language barrier but with our translator and God we can still communicate.  But seeing their love and need for love we all can communicate together without words.   This group my joke around with one another it is all in love and when it is time to work and spread the gospel we get it done and take it super serious.  I do miss my wife and kids and wish they could have been here to experience this with me. (sorry Tiff if this made you cry, I love you and the girls and miss you) 
Just a request,  I was wondering if some of you could reply with songs from the song book with all the lyrics Thank you , Love Roy
  
Today, the barriers started coming down. Classes were a bit more orderly. The art projects (mini canvas paintings) were beautiful.  Trevor, Roy and my class of 10yr olds and younger, impressively  knew the memory verse from yesterday with very little prompting. Even before VBS was over for the day, the children began gravitating to different members of the group. Hair was braided, including one beard… The girls are still trying to figure out my hair, so I’m sitting for daily inspections J It is a little awkward for some when they realize that I don’t speak or understand much of the language when I look like I should.  I was lead by the hand on a tour of an empty school house and church. Then, we sat in a small yard where some team members kicked around a ball with some children, while others held them and sang songs as they took self photos. We huddled up close, one lying on my lap to watch home videos. They love you Ethan. Lastly, the fans are an invaluable blessing! Thank you all.
-Yolanda

There have been many things on my mind over the past few days and there have been many things on my heart as well. Since coming to Haiti the idea of prayer has evolved for me and taken on a different concept. You read in the bible about people crying out to God and asking for his guidance and for forgiveness. In Haiti there have been few indoor voice prayers that have been said, often the prayers that are said are said in full voice, they are crying out to God. Also, I have never seen so many people get emotional during a prayer than I have seen in Haiti. Many people invited us into their house and are asking for our prayers. Although we prayed in English there was one lady who was overcome with emotion that she almost cried in our group. Prayer means so much more to me know and now I never take a prayer for granted, my prayers from now on won’t just be spoken words but they will be deep thoughts that come from my heart because it is my time to come before God and lay upon him what is on my heart. Today was our second day at the orphanage and today I got the opportunity to teach the kids the second half of the story of David. As soon as I got up to speak I almost forgot the story of Joseph and had to take a few moments to think of the story. Luckily the interpreter who was with us did a fantastic job and we were able to recap and tell the story of Joseph. In that same class period I got my first chance to interact with some of the Haitian children. During the class one of the little girls latched onto my back and wouldn’t let me go until I hugged for nearly 10 minutes straight. After VBS when we were playing with the kids the same little girl and a few others latched onto me as well. I had no interaction with them the day before yet they were completely willing to come and give me and hug and sit with me. Words can’t describe the emotions I was filling throughout the entire day. These kids are impacting me in ways that I had not expected. As the week goes on I hope that God shapes my heart and that I can continue to interact more with the children. I know God is leading the group down here and that he guiding everyone in different ways. Please keep us in our prayers!

-Trevor

Making tiles for a craft

Crafts/lesson review

Dancing for game time

Frank handing out snacks

Gary got his beard braided

The finished product

Dancing with the girls

The finished craft project









9 comments:

  1. Yes Roy, I cried. I can't express the emotions that overcome me when I read these posts. I constantly check the blog for new updates. I love you all and miss you so much. I can't wait to have you back here but I know God needs you there, and I feel selfish for wanting you home. Experience all that God is showing you, the lessons HE is giving to you. Share HIS love and light to the community - build family bonds! I just don't have the words to express what my heart is feeling........GOD IS AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may have this one - but it is great and short and easy.

    Song: Father I Adore You

    Father, I adore You
    Lay my life before You
    How I love You

    Spirit, I adore You
    Lay my life before You
    How I love You

    Jesus, I adore You
    Lay my life before You
    How I love You

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites:

    Song: I Stand In Awe Of You

    You are beautiful beyond description
    Too marvelous for words
    Too wonderful of comprehension
    Like nothing ever seen or heard
    Who can grasp you infinite wisdom
    Who can fathom the depth of your love
    You are beautiful beyond description
    Majesty enthroned above


    And I stand, I stand in awe of you
    I stand, I stand in awe of you
    Holy God to whom all praise is due
    I stand in awe of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading the posts have really warmed my heart and it makes me have tears too! You all are in my prayers and I know you are making a difference in so many lives! Love and prayers to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for you! I am so proud of all of you as you Glorify God!!!!'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so inspired by the blogs you are sending. Hearing how God is working through you and how receptive everyone is, truly humbles me and brings me joy knowing you are making an impact in their lives. We are praying for everyone of you and the entire Haiti ministry. It brings to the for front of my mind that we here in America have so much we take for granted and do not display the type of joy you have been telling us about that the people you've come across have. Your sharing through this blog gives me encouragement thank you all for sharing your experiences with us and for sacrificing the comforts of home to serve there in Haiti. May.God continue to bless this work and all of YOU his workers! GOD IS SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so inspired by the blogs you are sending. Hearing how God is working through you and how receptive everyone is, truly humbles me and brings me joy knowing you are making an impact in their lives. We are praying for everyone of you and the entire Haiti ministry. It brings to the for front of my mind that we here in America have so much we take for granted and do not display the type of joy you have been telling us about that the people you've come across have. Your sharing through this blog gives me encouragement thank you all for sharing your experiences with us and for sacrificing the comforts of home to serve there in Haiti. May.God continue to bless this work and all of YOU his workers! GOD IS SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete