Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23, 2015

To all who are reading this:
                First, thank you for following our story as we are down here! We thank you for your continual prayers. Today, we went to Bernard Mevs hospital in Port-Au-Prince. We walked away with several stories that will always be remembered. I (Paige) got to enter the spinal cord unit, where the patients there suffered either gunshot wounds or vehicle accidents. One particular woman was a paraplegic (paralyzed from waist down) from a gunshot wound. At some point over the last year, she had learned of some confidential information about her brother that is currently in prison. There were some people that did not want her to know. So, two men waited for her since 3 am the day of the accident and shot her down. Her daughter was with her when it happened. This story broke my heart. When talking to her about Jesus, she said that she had made a deal with God. If God allowed her to walk again, only then would she believe. This was so sad to hear. We talked with her as best as we could, and prayed with her as well. She thanked us for doing so. Then, I went over to the pediatric unit. I was immediately drawn to two babies with hydrocephalus. Once again, my heart was broken. I went up to one of them and started talking and smiling. The little one followed me with his eyes, and cracked a smile back to me. This was such a God moment. This small connection with the little boy made my day.
                                                                                                                -Paige J


I (Hannah) got to talk with a few of the patients in the spinal cord unit; I am still becoming more comfortable using an interpreter. I had the blessing of being able to pray over these patients as well.  It was eye opening to see the small room that these patients were in and to see how inventive the nurses were.  I also visited the pediatric unit, which consisted of about 8 beds and cribs. I talked with some of the children. One specific girl had been beaten up and had been there a week, but thankfully she was going home today and in good condition. I then came across a boy, about 7 years old, who was in for ketoacidosis. Thankfully, his mom was there with him and I gave her the opportunity to ask me questions she had about diabetes. It was difficult using the translator, but I think I was able to give her a simple explanation of what diabetes is. I was then able to pray for this mother and her son and hope that she was able to see Jesus in us.
                                                                                                Hannah <3


I(Sara) don’t have much to add to what Paige and Hannah said. I was able to color with a little boy who had come in with Diabetic Ketoacidosis. He was so bored because he was on the mend, but didn’t have any room to run and play. The language barrier was a problem, but it was amazing to see that love is the same in any language. We sat there coloring, not speaking, but occasionally smiling at each other.  It was a precious moment that I won’t forget.  In the afternoon, we packed first aid kits to hand out later in the week when we have a clinic. We put tape, gauze, alcohol swabs, tongue depressors, and band-aids. It is a little basic first aid kit that will be able to meet some needs.

                                                                                                Sara J

Michelle (staff) with this sweet little one. He has been abandoned there and is one month old. 

Note: In the evening the girls all made home medical kits. There is limited access to basics such as items for wound care so these kits will be given to keep at home should the need arise for the supplies inside (band aids, tape, gauze, etc). After a first aid class at our medical clinic Thurs they will be given to all who attend (to take home and have on hand). 


About 75 kits were made!

Also, please pray for Kylee (also on staff for the summer) who is COVERED in bug bites. She is so positive but super itchy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment