Wednesday, July 15, 2015

VBS is going well. I’m doing games along with Andrew, Emily, Jonas, and Turrin (the last two go to the church there).  Jonas has been such a big help. Whenever he feels that the game isn’t going well he asks if we could change the games, and he brings up games that works almost every time.  He then says that he will use the games that we bring there that he has never heard of or played to help out his children’s ministry there at the church.  I think that it is really cool that he is very willing to pitch in to help with the games, and he has so much energy and love for the kids.  When we get back to base we usually get a while to just bond, relax, and eat lunch.  The food here is very good.  The cooks get up around 4ish in the morning to get stuff for breakfast.  They do a very great job cooking food.  The translators are so cool.  Gady is a rapper, Reggie is really funny (when he is talking for a while), James is really good at football (soccer), David has a lot of style with the clothes he wears, Astreede can speak like 7 different languages, and Jerry is very nice and easy to get along with.  I speak for everyone here when I see this but we are having a great time here in Haiti.  I will really miss everyone here that I met and don’t be surprised if I am speaking some Kreyol when we get back.    Drew


I have been so pumped this week and just so overwhelmed with everything I have been doing, seeing, and eating. Between all of the energy from the Haitians, the team, and me being able to eat lots of food has been just an amazing experience. But one thing that brings me joy every day is the children. All of their smiles, their energy during worship, and just the overall longing to learn makes me smile everyday and gives me the desire to keep showing up. To be honest, I don’t know what I will do once this week is over, but I do know that when this week comes to an end, I will be even more passionate and more on fire to help out with the children’s ministry back home. Speaking of back home, a quick shout out to my family, I miss you all very much and hope your week has been going as nice as mine has been (and yes, they have been very nice with providing me with lots of food that I can eat!). But along with all of the children, another thing that I have been enjoying is the all of the music. With the almost constant playing of the guitar, beat boxing, and singing has really just brought lots of happiness to me as well to all of the other members of the team. With all of the constant excitement, I’m surprised how quiet it gets around here when Bible time comes around. That is the other thing that I have been enjoying, all of the time I have been able to just sit and study God’s word. With all of the Spirit moving and blessing us mixed along with the praise to the great God (whether in Kreyol or English) has made this experience well worth the “fun” plane ride. Well, that all I have to share (for now), God bless everyone!
-Evan

GO JEN!
-Andrew

To Ashley: I found Samantha : )
From Kendra

We are coming up on the end of our week here! Today was the third day of VBS and I got to teach the lesson! The kids are so well behaved and pay attention quietly the whole time, I love it! My experiment was putting Mentos in Diet Coke to make it explode and the kids thought it was soooo cool! There were some malfunctions, but overall the lessons went great and I think they understood the main point. After VBS we came back to the base for a little before leaving for prayer walks. We were split into groups with the translators and headed out in different directions to meet people in the community. I already went on a prayer walk on Monday, so I knew what to expect a little better this time. Almost everyone is friendly to us and most of the people we stop to talk to invite us into their homes. The people here take a lot of pride in their homes. They are always very organized and decorated with the few possessions they have. I was impacted by one family specifically on our prayer walk. It was a widow with four children who invited us in to sit with her family. Having something in common with the children helped me feel a connection to them, that even though we have completely different lives, we both know the struggle of losing a parent. That is just one example of the memories we are all creating down here. I am beyond grateful for the opportunity I have to meet these people of another culture and realize we are really not all that different. Pray that the rest of our week is as meaningful and that we return safely!

-Annika

1 comment:

  1. Kendra, I am so happy!! Show her lots of love and attention. Hold her hand and she will never let go.
    Been thinking of you often, always with a pang of jealousy that I can't be there.
    Love and miss you!!

    ReplyDelete