Monday, July 13, 2015

Updates

Today was the first day of VBS with the kids. It was hard to communicate with the kids when we didn’t speak the same language, but the translators were very helpful. The kids were very friendly and listened to directions well. They smiled a lot and really enjoyed dancing and singing with the songs.  Later in the afternoon we went to the mountain where we had a choice of playing soccer or going on a prayer walk through the community and talking with the people who lived there. In Haiti it’s common for people to invite you into their house, so we were invited to go into people’s houses to talk and pray for them. Some of the little kids we passed on the path followed us and held our hands.
Julie

After the roosters crowed at 3 am, a beautiful sunrise at 6 am, and fresh fruit and squeezed juice for breakfast at 7 am, we loaded up the bus and headed for VBS at the church. There were already excited kiddos sitting in the church by the time we got there (an hour early). I sat down in the chairs next to a few little girls and tried to make conversation in Creole. They were not interested in conversation. All they wanted to do was take my nicely braided hair out, and knot it all up. :) TVD was right when he said that Haitians have no personal bubble. Despite the heat, they were all over me and everyone else… so sweet. Once all the kids had arrived, we began the music and dancing which they loved! After music, they were split into 3 groups and I got to present the lesson I’ve been preparing for months. My translator, Astreede, was such a huge help in getting the kids to memorize the main point, which was that after we see how God provides today, it helps us trust him with tomorrow. Our first VBS day was very successful for how many kids there were and how few of us there are. The kids here are so obedient and loving… they were actually easier to teach than my CCC preschoolers. :) After the groups had all cycled through, we made an assembly line and gave each child a rather large plate of Haitian spaghetti. This was huge seeing as it might be the only meal those kids ate all day. In the evening, we trekked up the mountain for evening ministry. I chose to play soccer even though I am very unskilled at the sport. I was wearing my Lionel Messi shorts… stupid me. Surprisingly, they knew who he was and laughed once they saw my out-of-control kicks, and I could hear them saying, “Messi hahaha.” :) After soccer we came back to the base for supper. Oh the supper. We had Haitian mac and cheese, which is pretty much just homemade spicy mac and cheese, fried chicken, fried plantains, and other Haitian foods that I don’t know what they are, but they are amazing. If you couldn’t tell, I am a HUGE fan of the food here. And after supper, more food! Crystal brought out this tiny green fruit that you had to crack open and suck on… kind of gooey but oh so good. So besides the nonstop sweating and the insane heat, it was an amazing day, and I can’t wait to go at it again tomorrow!
Kendra

No comments:

Post a Comment