Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Updates 7/1/15

So today we started out very normal, I almost miss breakfast because I’m asleep. But then we got to go to the orphanage at the beginning of the trip I was sad because of the fact that I was put in the craft group, mainly because I’m not artistic or good at planning that time of class so for me it personally felt like I wasn’t going to have the opportunity to really show my personal skill set. So I would say that I wasn’t really in the right mindset to go on this trip when I left. However, that all changed once I got outside in Haiti I saw so much and it all hit me at once that while I was pouting because I wasn’t put into the class that I wanted, there was all this pain and suffering all around me. The initial ride into the heart of Haiti broke mine. My initial thought of how to help these people was all they need was money, but as we went through the town and all the Haitian looking at us with mixed fallings of interest, fear, contentment, but mainly just expecting a hand out change my mind. I thought that all they needed was money but all that would do is make them more dependent, so I was at a loss and had no idea what to do to help.  I believe that the last two days at the orphanage have given me a better idea of how to help, the first second that I walked in the orphanage the girls lined up to watch us walk in, a little boy named Robinson walked up to me and Trevor gave both of us a hug and showed us the way in. Even though at first I was discouraged that I was put in the craft group I now am very thankful for being a part of it. I was able to see the creativity of the girls, one day it was the simple task to paint a little rectangle so that we could construct a mural the girls took so much time and effort to create this thing that one group stayed for two classes. It was so crazy for me because here’s something  that I wouldn’t personally have taken so seriously , yet they put so much time and effort into this little painting and that they  were so proud of their creation, and I was just so proud to be able to experience it. I have been extremely humbled that I was in any way apart of the crafts. I’m so thankful to see their smiling faces when you do something as so simple to say hello to them. I must so blessed – Ford

So today we went to the orphanage.  All I could think about was getting to see the kids again. Today in crafts they made bracelets. All the sudden in the middle of games, Louise (little girl from orphanage) comes up to me with her bracelet and proceeds to tie it around my wrist. She has nothing yet she still gives me all that she has. All I could think about was the widow in Mark Chapter 12.  She gave all that she had for offering. Jesus said “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. They gave out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty, put in- all she had to live on.” That’s how we should live, giving all to our God who has given so much to us. Love harder. As the week comes to a close in a few short days I can truly say I loved hard. My heart will be forever in Haiti. I will miss Berlando who has my whole heart. I know though that his smile can change the world and his hugs can shape the future. I will also miss our translator Astreed for her heart is so big and her wisdom beyond her years.  I am selfish for wanting to bring them home with me because I know they will make a difference wherever they are. They are the hope for the future in all of us. One day I hope to see them again , but in a couple days of I will say Arevwa. Mwen remen ou, Haiti. I love you, Haiti.
-Lexi Weaver

There has not been a day since I arrived in Haiti, that I haven’t  cried about my experiences here. Today, has been the worst, because we were giving a tour of the entire facility at the orphanage. When we passed through the areas where the children slept, it took me back 60 years when I actually was in an orphanage.  I just couldn’t imagine what it would have been like to have grown up in such a place until 18 years old.  God allowed me to grow up in a foster home until I was 12. At least I had a temporary mother and father.   I was blessed to have grown up with all the various experiences I had since then. And, now I am where I am with a wonderful family, worshiping with a wonderful church family, but what do these children have in comparison?  I fully appreciate all the family and friends back in Bellevue who have prayed about us here. I request that you do not stop praying for the children here, because they need them so much more than all of us.  -Gary


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful my brothers and sister. I am sending you all hugs and request that you spread them out. I think of you all and those children and those who take care of them constantly and pray throughout the day. Miss your beautiful faces and souls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to all. Enjoying the Blessings of this Haiti trip. Thanking my Lord everyday for each and everyone of you so willing to share Him with love and compassion. ..Mahalo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoyo... I see you artsin' and craftin'... No seriously I know how much wonderful work you all are doing in Haiti.. I'm so proud!! --- Pye

    ReplyDelete