Thursday, January 12, 2012

Remembering..

Two years ago TODAY at around 5 pm. the earthquake shook Haiti and the entire world to the core.  People who never knew anything about Haiti came to serve.  People who just wanted to help, to bless, to do whatever God called them to do for this country I love.  I was one of those people.  As I laid on my bed last night talking with a Haitian friend about "what were you doing two years ago today?" and the impact the earthquake has had on so many lives and people since I told my story.  A story of how God used the earthquake and the images on TV to draw me here initally. He used some people and relationships to keep me coming back and to start Hearts United. But now - 1.5 years later for me He is using Hearts United to bless both the Haitians and those who come to serve. It is always good for me to tell the story of how God has worked and guided this ministry and how He is still working and molding it into what He can use going forward.  It is good for me to remember His provision for us and to never forget that this is HIS ministry- not mine.


The orphanage from "above"- looking down on it. (orphanage on the left- long building and new building on the right with blue roof)  What a view we have!  It was nice to get out and walk the neighborhood and meet some people.


There is so much good in Haiti and it's not always easy to see that in photos.  You certainly don't hear about it on TV.  But  just come some time.  You too will be changed forever.  You too will be blessed by these people, by their culture, by the beauty of the landscape, but mostly by their FAITH!  I never cease to be amazed by those here and how much they love and trust God for all their needs.  How they cry out to Him with such abandon.  How though they may feel hungry or thirsty or tired they still praise Him.

It is my prayer as I sit in my room at the orphanage listening to church that you will get to experience Haiti in your own way.  I would LOVE for each of you to personally come here, but if you can't do that I pray that you will find some way to help others be able to come, that you will consider sponsoring an orphan or school child, that you will contribute to one of our ongoing projects, that you will help us with our transportation issues, etc... Trust me- you will be blessed far more than you will be blessing.  It truly is more rewarding to give than to receive.  It is my prayer as well that I remain focused on Him and that I continue to see God work in those He sends and that never gets "old".  Please consider joining us in Haiti!  Check out the website for "trips" and pick one.  We really have opportunities for ALL to serve- no matter what your gifts/abilities.

Praise God for how He uses trials and tough times in our lives for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment