Saturday, January 14, 2012

Electricity and God-

One of the many plugs around the house- makes me glad they build out of concrete here in Haiti.

What do electricity and God have in common?  Well, you could say that they both have incredible "power" (yes, pun intended).  Or that they both bring light to areas that need to be illuminated.  There are many ways you can compare the two and many analogies that can be given but living in Haiti has made me think of this one.

Last night I was laying in bed when the electricity came on.  It had not been on for more than a 20 min. stretch for a few days (we did have it for a few hours too the other day but not long.  Anyway, I was sound asleep but had left my light "on" so I would know when we had power.  So, when the room became bright as I slept I knew the time was NOW to jump up and plug things in- the computer and my phone.  Those things I use most here in Haiti.  They needed to be re-charged.

Of course then I was wide awake when I laid back down on my bed and my mind began to wander.  I thought about how similar this situation was to my relationship with God at times.  All too often I sit back and wait until I really "need" Him and then run to Him to "re-charge" (for my strength, for my fuel, for power).  But when He has "served His purpose" and I feel re-charged I go about my business and don't really rely on Him as I should each moment.  I kind of take His presence for granted again.  Until I have another period where I am sitting in the dark again crying out to Him wondering why I didn't learn my lesson last time and re-charge more frequently rather than wait until I was exhausted again before I turned to Him for strength or ran when I saw a glimpse of Him and was reminded of His presence.

I know I am not the only one who does this- literally and figuratively.  I see the Haitians all run when there is power to quickly plug in their cell phones or bring them to church knowing that there will be a generator if not power and they can re-charge (yes, I do not miss the fact that they bring them to CHURCH to re-charge- that's what got me really thinking about this topic the other day too).  I also see my fellow Christians falling into the same trap I do and how the enemy LOVES to use our busy lives and distractions to keep us from right fellowship with our Father.

Fortunately God is always there waiting for me to return.  In those times when I don't feel His presence or have called out to Him because I feel He isn't there I am reminded that HE is not the one who moved- it was me!  I was the one feeling independent and wandering away.  I was the one who got too busy to take time to spend with Him.  I was the one who didn't "re-charge" when I had my chances but whittled away my time on the computer or talking to someone or fell for whatever trap the enemy laid in front of me to distract me- again!  

In Haiti we are at the mercy of those who decide when/if we get electricity on a particular day.  But God is ALWAYS available to me-  in fact He delights in my presence.  He delights when I spend time with Him.  And I do too.  So, why do I sometimes wait so long between my "visits" with Him?

 Lord, please help me not to fall into the traps the enemy has for me- especially here in Haiti.  Help me to see the value in staying "charged" and filled with your presence.  For there is no other way I desire to live my life than to be filled with Your Spirit.  This ministry and this mission are NOT mine-  they are Yours.  Guide and direct me as I work here in Haiti and at home and help me to be sensitive always to what You would have me  see/experience.  Help me to recognize it as a gift from You.  Help me to see the "lessons" you desire to teach me and to be open to the conviction/teaching you bring.  I know these things will help me to be the person You desire me to be.  Help me not treat you like I treat the electricity here- running to you only when I need to re-charge or when I need you for something, but rather help me to intentionally set that time aside for You and I to fellowship and for me to glean from Your infinite wisdom and love.  - Amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment