Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year- New Start

First let me say "Bon Ane" to all my friends (Haitian and not) which means "Happy New Year".  I am so blessed to be able to be on the front lines at times- seeing first hand what God is doing in Haiti and how He is at work in BOTH our projects.  :)  But, I need to remember that YOU are not here with me- sharing in this and that YOU need to be "in the loop".  So, let me tell you a little about my return to Haiti. There are many more stories to come in the days ahead- I just need to take time to sit and write them.

First of all, I arrived on New Year's Eve but did not stay awake until midnight.  I tried so hard because I really wanted to experience the celebration that Haiti has on that evening.  Jan. 1 is their Independence Day (from France in 1804) so there is much excitement on New Year's Eve.  As I pulled into the orphanage with tears in my eyes once again I thanked God for this place, for opening this door and for the people I have met as a result. Many of you are not just "sponsors" for the girls here, but you are friends now as well.  To me and to the girls/orphans.

The children greeted me with chants of my name, dancing and MANY hugs/kisses, but once things died down and we were all laying on the roof watching fireworks in the distance the questions and comments started.  "Crystal- mwen sonjay ou anpil".  (I miss you a lot- not sure I spelled that correctly)  "Mwen priye pou ou"  (I pray for you) but then it became "Andy?"  "Charla?"  "Tiffany?"  "Michele?"  "Ericka?" "DJ?"  "Melinda?"  "Cody?"  "Trevor?"  "Jeremy?"  "Mwen sonjay ****",  "Mwen priye pou ******" , etc... etc... be assured there were MANY more names than that spoken into the night. Never underestimate the power your prayers and love for these girls has.  Never underestimate the impact you have on their lives.  They love each of you.  They pray for you.  They long for contact from you- whether it is to see them again or to send them a note, letter, etc.. They just need (as we all do) to know they are not forgotten and wanted me to know that you are not forgotten either.

It just serves to remind me of how God is.  Unfortunately I have times in my life when I "go away" for a bit.  I don't do my devotions.  I get busy and don't take time to pray like I should. I make choices I know would not please or honor Him. I (for whatever reason) just drift away from Him.  But He NEVER forgets me.  He is waiting there- for my return to greet me like I was greeted on Dec. 31st at the orphanage.  With hugs, kisses, dancing, etc..... with blessings! He wants me to know "I belong" and to FEEL His love and joy at my return.  Though I do not cherish the times when I have strayed in my life, I do look back upon them as times and realize that those were some of the times when I have grown the most and truly experienced His love, compassion, forgiveness.  Then I get a glimpse of what it truly means to be His!

So, rest assured that you are His, but those of you who have agreed to sponsor these girls/orphans- you are theirs too!  They love you, they miss you and they long for a relationship with you.  How beautiful that is to see from this side, but how beautiful it must be from His too.  So, though you may not hear it enough, "Thank you" ("mesi") for answering His call to "look after widows and orphans in their distress"- James 1:27.  And for those of you considering sponsorship, it will bless both you and your sponsored child so much.  Contact us today for more info.  There are still about 50 girls/orphans who need sponsors here.

heartsunitedwithhaiti@gmail.com  or huwh.orphansponsorship@gmail.com
                 (e-mail us for info. on sponsorship)

No comments:

Post a Comment