Friday, July 6, 2012

Midrige



My last day in Haiti (last trip) I went to the hospital with Jean Bernard to get his stitches out.  While we were waiting for the doctor we saw this TINY little baby in a crib.  Her father was sitting at her bedside and he just looked SO SAD.  This is a ward where there are many children and parents.  He was flipping through a pile of receipts and it appeared that he was calculating what he had spent on that pile.  I was drawn to him and the baby so I asked James to go with me to talk to the man and pray with him.  I wanted to find out how old the baby was, what her name was and why she was in the hospital.  Her name was Midrige and she was 12 days old (this was June 2) and she had surgery for a bowel obstruction.  I asked if it was successful but the father didn't know-- it was too soon after surgery to know success.  He said the doctors were hopeful. 

Anyway, knowing that he was probably having to pay a LOT for her medical expenses and knowing I had some money left in my pocket from Jean Bernard's surgery I felt God clearly saying that we should give the money to this man toward her medical expenses.  It was certainly not a lot considering JB's surgery and related costs were about $1300 US but it was something to help this man out and more importantly to encourage him that God does love him and the baby and that He knows their need and will provide.  So, I pulled James aside and asked him to take the man outside and give him the money I had in my pocket.  He did and the man came back into that room with the biggest smile.  He looked younger, happier and he soon disappeared and then reappeared with a bag of medical supplies. I am sure he went right out and bought some things for Midrige.

I wish this story had a happy ending.  James has kept in touch with the father and when he called the other day he was told that little Midrige had passed away.  She is now with Jesus and her battle for her life here on earth is over.  BUT this man and his family were blessed to know that they have a God who loves them and who will send strangers (even white ones who don't speak Creole) to make sure they know they are not forgotten.  

I plan to try and visit this man when I go back to Haiti.  To hear his story from the past month I have been away and to share some photos with him of Midrige.  Please join me in praying for the St.Jour family and know that the money people donated for Jean Bernard did not just help him, but others as well.  God bless!  

When the father returned he had that bag (in the back) full of supplies. Praise God!  I only wish I had more money to give him that day.  :)  :)  THANK YOU for your support! 


No comments:

Post a Comment