Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Haitian morning

Good morning from Haiti,

Ally did her best to prepare the team for our visit to Haiti.  We spent class time at church two times per week for months and I was still taken aback when we arrived.  Being able to use all the senses; to see Haiti at ground level, to take in the smells, certainly all the noises was quite the experience.  I thought I had adequately prepared with my Pimsleur language CD’s.  Once we arrived at the orphanage all that training went right out the window and seemingly out of my brain.  Coming face to face with all these children’s faces I was at a loss to even remember how to say the basic introductory phrases.  Thankfully the translators have been awesome!  Yesterday, (Monday ) was our second VBS day which took place for  several hours in the morning.  After lunch we had the bulk of the afternoon to go outside to play with the kids.  Again, I was hesitant to interact with the children.  Would they be able to relate to me?  Jeff Glassburner was playing soccer goalie on one side of the play area and was giving the kids penalty kicks daring them to get the ball past him.  There was a tree that provided some shade from the sun and I went and sat down there to watch the action.  Shortly thereafter  Berlando came over.  He is five years old and a real cute kid.  He is one of Ally’s favorites.  He came over to me and held his hands up wanting me to pick him up.  The language barrier wasn’t an issue with Berlando.  He didn’t want me to talk to him.  He was satisfied with me holding him.  The heat of the day made him sleepy and he finally went to sleep in my arms.  For a five year old boy he is quite a heavy sack of taters.  Miqui was another child that came over to me when I was still holding Berlando.  She patiently waited for me to pass Berlando over to Roy so I could spend some time with her.  One of the translators was nearby so occasionally I would call him over to answer a question that Miqui had or to ask him  the Creole word for something.  She had a comb in her hand and she took my hat off and started combing my hair.  We had a grooming session for a few minutes  and the next thing I know she is putting a vine around my wrist and weaves a little bracelet for me.  Later she wove a ring for my finger.  Some of the greatest gifts don’t have monetary value.  Miqui gave me what she could offer me and it will provide a special memory from Haiti that I will never forget.  I also got some time to spend with Elena, Miqui’s younger sister.  Hopefully I will be able to interact with her this afternoon.  I  can hardly wait to see how today unfolds.  More memories to make.  I will do a dental screening on 60-70 kids today.  I brought some gum for the children after they let me count their teeth.  Health care is somewhat difficult to arrange but at least an exam can be done and a dental record made for later use.  I will log off now.  Time for another cup of Haitian coffee and to watch the sunrise.  Bye for now.
Rob McIntosh




9 comments:

  1. So beautiful and touching. Gods blessings and will for this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very heart warming. Continually praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very heart warming. Continually praying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It uplifted my Tuesday morning to read Rob's comments of his experiences with the children! Love and prayers to all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so encouraging to read what our awesome God does with willing people :)
    Ally- I miss and love you SO much!!! It made me cry reading the blog about the girls screaming your name when you got to the orphanage. I know how exciting that was for you and I wish so badly that I could be there with you. Camp is going well, I am trying really hard to not compare it to being with the girls there. 27 campers got saved last night- praise God! Don't forget to give Lorvencia and Sarafina and Nadia and the Aladin sisters and all of the other precious girls big hugs for me and tell them I love them so much and miss them like crazy!!!!!
    Praying for you all!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanking you all for the precious stories and memories you share with us at home. God is surely using you all to do a work over there. We serve an awesome God!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So great to read all the posts and see pictures! Sharing with my kiddos. Love and prayers for all!
    - Lacy E.

    ReplyDelete