Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Group updates- June 30,2015

Hello to All in Bellevue,
Thank you is somewhat weak to tell you how much your letters, blogs, and prayers are for all of the mission team members. Frank and I spent some of the day travelling about with an Ace driver in a Montero that has AC that works, getting some materials to paint some selves at our Base Quarters. I miss being with the orphan children today.  Chrystal helped me find a young girl, Chee-love, for Marilyn and I to sponsor. It is not totally final yet, because we still need to go through Hearts Unite with Haiti. I know Marilyn will fall in love with this little girl. Frank and I completed our sanding and first coat of paint and we lost a lot of sweat to get this first step done.  We savor every cool breeze that flows by us. I love all of you, and I REALLY LOVE MARILYN and her messages.     Gary



Bonjour from Haiti,
I have not had the opportunity to meet most of you who are reading this. However, those in your church family that I have gotten to know have been such a blessing! Thank you so much for your many thoughts and prayers! The children we have been visiting at the orphanage have shown more love and care than I could have ever imagined. To put all of my thoughts and emotions into words would be merely impossible. It is beyond overwhelming, not necessarily in a negative way, to take everything in at once. It will take me many days, if not weeks, to sort out all the feelings that I have had upon my arrival in Haiti. Until then, thank you again. God Bless! (Mom, if you’re reading this, I love and miss you! Tell my little buddy I said the same!)       Danielle

Danielle with Charles, Junior

Aloha from Haiti (Bonjou or whatever)
To those who know me prepare to be shocked: I have no words. I’ve purposely delayed sharing on this blog. No amount of eloquence could relay the feelings experienced here. I expected the worse and grossly underestimated the truth I found when seeing Haiti with my own eyes. The inadequacy of my words makes it hard to describe the dichotomy of joy and pain that exists here.  I will, however, share the beauties that God has shown me.  Our translators (Astreede, Redgi, Jerry, James, Gady, and David) have quickly become family. We share many similarities including love of music and dance. Today, for example, we sat in the hot sun and sang reggae music with the orphans for hours. It’s so comforting that music and dance are a universal language.
Ally and I have been working with the 14-18 year old girls in our daily bible class. I feel like I haven’t taught the girls a single thing. I don’t know their struggles. I have never been neglected or felt abandoned. We did an object lesson today where we blindfolded a girl and had her try to find me just by listening to my voice. The lesson was that we can overcome difficulties by listening to His voice. Ally asked the girls through our translators, “What are some difficulties that you face?” After a long uncomfortable pause one girl said, “Everything is difficult.” That was a heavy moment. Ally and I just looked at each other.  How do you respond to that? In this moment neither Ally nor I responded.  I whole heartedly believe that God used my voice. I just reacted and let God speak. God prepared our lesson for this moment.  I was able to fall back on our lesson and say, “No matter how difficult things are just listen for His voice.” Our class ended and we moved on through the day, but what touched me was that the same girl who said, “everything is difficult” came up to me later in the day and gave me a hug. I don’t know what she said to me with her words, but her face and hug said, “I trust you.”
Thanks for reading and listening. Someday I hope to have the words to share this experience. Ohana, I miss you. If someone could update me on how Dodger and Jack are doing I would appreciate it.  I’ll see you in a few days.
Aloha,
Christian

Crafts (picture frames)





5 comments:

  1. Gary!!! What a sweet girl and what loving words. Christian I can't even imagine. Danielle prayers for you too, thank you for your loving words too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a little choked and a little teary everytime I read one of your post! I can feel the love and compassion you all have for the children there and I know it will be hard to leave all of them. I know you have touched their hearts by your hugs, smiles and presence! Love and prayers to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my Ohana in Haiti(the whole team), thank you for the blessing of reading your blog everyday. I feel your love and compassionate heart towards these children. Truly God is blessing them as well as you all. Praying always for you...Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all who have been sharing their experiences on this blog. I love reading your thoughts and impressions, and how God is working. I know it can be overwhelming and difficult at times. I want to encourage you with Isaiah 61 today. Those you are working with may have suffered or be suffering, and it's hard to not be able to take that away, but we have a God who transforms suffering who proclaims good news to the poor, who binds up the brokenhearted, proclaims freedom for the captives,and release from darkness for the prisoners, who comforts all who mourn, and bestows on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair! -Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for all of you! Happy Anniversary Pono and Jana! Love you!

    ReplyDelete