Sunday, December 29, 2013

Update 12/29 - early morning

Sorry for not updating more last night.  First night is full of questions, unpacking, etc... and (of course) we had NO ELECTRICITY! So.... we were extra busy holding flashlights for one another and doing other things to stay dry with the rain. BUT... all were in bed at least before 10 pm. and I think they are all still asleep as I type this....

Here is the ONE photo I have from yesterday.... sorry there are not more but again it gets so busy as the team can explain to you once they return.  Now that we are safely at the base and organized things should move at a much slower, "island" pace!  "Haitian time" is what we affectionately call it.  We have a plan, but it's not necessarily God's plan for us all so we need to be open and sensitive to His direction.
(cool story below the photo- keep reading)

For those of you who are following the blog and not necessarily the team (or those following the team)- check out this God story I have from yesterday!

So... Redgi and I went to the airport in the Montero to get the first group.  I packed a backpack and some snacks to eat because after the 3 students from Malone arrived I was going to wait 2.5-3 hours in the parking area for the next group and then another hour for the final group.  MY PLAN- not what God had at all!  First of all, after Redgi left for the base with the first group and I was sitting/relaxing some of the porters I have come to know came over.  They had some questions for me to help them improve their English speaking skills.  (for example:  "If I have a group of women, can I say, 'Come on guys" because they are NOT guys- they are female"?)  So, there I was asking them questions too and giving an impromptu English class which I loved.

 Then came a text from the 3 York College students who were flying through Miami that they had missed the plane.  The other 7 York students were already in the air flying from Fort Lauderdale and one was planning to stay INSIDE the airport to wait for the second group.  I didn't know if they knew that the 3 had missed their flight.  (hope you are still following this- it's kinda complicated)  Well.... to make a long story short- when I told the group what happened, one of the guys I had never met before who was in my impromptu class says, "Miss!  I can get you inside the airport!  My brother works security."  So... he introduces me to his brother who speaks no English but who brought me inside and got me to a bench (still not inside baggage claim but close) and tells me to wait there.  After he left me, another man came up to ask who I was and why I was there and I told him.... HE took me all the way to baggage claim where I was able to connect with the group.  So, I now have the phone number of the security guard and know him (believe me - I tipped him well) and I actually got inside the airport.

Not only that, but in between the two security people when I was on the bench waiting, I met an American who is working with a great organization. We shared stories and have very much the same philosophy on ministry.  She got my contact information and I am excited to share that we are going to meet up sometime after the team leaves.  She is looking to MOVE to Haiti and work as a teacher somewhere.  We just started a school.... Who knows what God might be up to!  Only He knows but one thing is sure!

I have waited MANY times for groups and NEVER been allowed inside the airport before.  Only God could have orchestrated all that.  So, once again, what the enemy meant for distraction for the group was used by God for good!  Praise Him for all the ways He guides and directs us.  It is because of prayers from many like you that this happens.  So, thank you once again for all your support in prayer for the ministry.

I was just so excited I had to share this with you all! God bless you on this last Lord's day in 2013!  -Crystal

4 comments:

  1. Good morning to all...so happy to read your story. God works in mysterious ways and is good indeed. We have 41 degrees in Ohio and rain is expected today...heading to church soon. We pray for a great day for all. Stay safe and enjoy. Love, Gary, Kim & Brandon Phelps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi renee wubbenhorst. Im sleeping with teddy while youre in haiti. You are awesome. I know god is using you and your group

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee..I saw some pics of u. I'm proud of u and excited that God opened up this opportunity for u.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo grateful for your posts and pictures. I will keep a box of Kleenex handy from now on when I read these. It is exciting to see how God works! Praying for the entire group:) Victoria (Gwen's Mom)

    ReplyDelete