Thursday, June 13, 2013

The worst thing I have seen in Haiti...

When I tell people that I am a missionary serving in Haiti the first questions I usually get relate to the 2010 earthquake- the clean-up, the mismanagement of funds intended to help, the people living in tent cities, etc.... But, it doesn't take long until I get the next most common question:  "What is the worst thing you have seen in Haiti?"  And my answer to this question, unfortunately, usually is received with far less enthusiasm than it was asked.  The reason?  Because people do not want to hear the answer I usually give.

I will give you an example that you will be familiar with.  Did you ever encounter someone you haven't seen in a long time when out shopping or running errands only to hear yourself saying, "We really should get together sometime"? All too often we say that with full knowledge that we have no intention of calling the person. Or have someone ask, "How are you doing?" when you have a real burden you are struggling with, yet you answer, "I am fine, and you"?  We are polite and we say what is expected.  Well, this is kind of the same thing.  I tell people what we do in Haiti and they ask a question expecting to hear juicy stories of abuse, corruption or something of the sort.  They do not expect to hear something else- yet they do.

Sure, after over three years of serving in Haiti I have seen my share of heart-wrenching situations.  I have had a baby I considered my first grandchild die from something completely preventable here in the USA-just two days before I arrived with finances and medicine that could have saved her life. I remain in contact with a young woman who is now 16 years old with a 4 year old child because she was raped and thrown out on the street when she became pregnant at 12 years old because it was "her fault".  I have experienced corruption when some employees from the very agency intended to protect vulnerable children were using their position as a way to abduct children from the streets and supply a child trafficking ring. I have witnessed a violent interaction between the Haitians and  UN which involved gun fire into a random crowd of bystanders.  I have spent countless hours at the general hospital in Port au Prince where there many heartbreaking moments.  I could go on and on.

But none of these are the worst thing(s) I have experienced so far in Haiti.  Yes, they are all sad moments and evoke some intense emotions, however I trust that my God is bigger than all of these situations.  I have been blessed to see Him at work in each of them and I continue to be encouraged as I see His hand upon the Haitian people and country I have grown to love.  This brings me to my worst experience(s) in Haiti and the answer I give to those who care to listen and hopefully learn from my answer.  The thing that continues to break my heart over and over is those who come to Haiti with THEIR agenda- THEIR plan and who do not take time to get to know the very people they intend to "serve" often leaving behind a wake of consequences they aren't around to see.  It grieves me to read their blogs, see their facebook updates, watch them in the community, etc... and see their focus on what THEY are doing in Haiti.  I have read countless blogs and facebook posts about "If we didn't come to this community they would have nothing".  REALLY?????   Do people honestly believe this stuff?  Are they really so arrogant to feel they are the solution to the problems the Haitian people (or anyone else for that matter) face?

Too many are so caught up in what they DO when they come to Haiti that they miss the opportunity to rest in God's beauty, see His hand in things and give Him the credit/glory for ALL that happens.  Yes, God can put us all in a certain place at a certain time to be used- but it is always meant to show His provision and His love/compassion for His people.  All too often I see lists of the number of people in/out of a clinic but the group that came was so hurried to put numbers on their blog that they didn't take time to sit and talk to those very people they treated and hear their stories or find the condition of their hearts.  I hear of groups going in and building houses or fixing ones that are in need of repair yet when they turn their nose up or laugh about the person's current living conditions what message do they send?  Is this really showing the love of Christ or is it giving them opportunity to return home with a list of THEIR accomplishments in Haiti?

When these people take photos of the sickest, saddest, dirtiest child and post it on their blog, what is the motive?  Is it to receive more funding for future trips or is there another intended purpose?  What about the family of that child?  No wonder they often feel exploited and used for financial gain of the photographer.  Why not photos of the child who is happy, smiling, clean?  Because, unfortunately, pity is a stronger motivation than joy.  A Haitian man once told me, "It is marketing, Crystal.  If you keep the children  well dressed, fed and healthy you will not receive help.  The help goes to the ones whose children look sick, hungry and dirty with no consideration that those people may be already receiving help from people.  If the money received goes to those items, the help will cease and will go to others who appear more 'needy'".  That, my friends, is pathetic yet unfortunately so true! And yet groups coming buy into that same mentality by posting photos of the poverty, the tent cities, the trash, etc...  Why?  Because we, as people respond to it.

Don't get me wrong.  There are plenty of well-meaning people and groups who come to Haiti to serve.  My reason for writing this is to ask that we ALL consider what our motive is for serving and how our actions are perceived by those very people we plan to help.  What does "help" involve? How did Jesus serve others?  What model should we follow?  I know it's a radical way to think, but what about measuring "our accomplishments" by the following questions.  Did we seek God and follow His direction during our trip?  Did we look for those moments to share His love and encouragement with His people?  Did we give Him all the glory - realizing that we can do nothing (lasting) without His hand upon it?  This list can go on and on as well.  We need to remember the One Who called us to Haiti and ask that when we minister people see HIM and not us!    (** stepping off my soapbox now**)

My prayer as I begin yet another summer in Haiti with many people coming to serve is that I can clearly communicate this (foreign) way of looking at short term mission trips and that God will use me to help those He has called to serve with our organization to take time to see Him.  I pray we will be used to bless others and to build relationships that will bring people closer to Him.  I pray that people will measure the success of their trip by moments they saw God at work rather than by the amount of things they DID.  Overall, I pray to remain humble as well because it is easy in ministry to fall into the cycle mentioned above- with the way we measure our success, the photos we take, the blogs we write too. May God and His plans be the focus of our ministry always.    -Crystal

This 55 gallon drum was our wash water.  This little boy getting into it meant it was now "dirty" water.  Yet, this team saw the chance to make some memories.  Instead of getting frustrated/angry, two of the men on the team climbed in too (not at the same time- haha) and made some LASTING memories that this little guy talked about for a long time.  Sharing Jesus?  Not directly, but it showed that relationship was more important than some other things (like "clean" water).
On our way to go somewhere (running behind) we could have just walked quickly by these school children.  Instead, the team took time to stop, play with them for a bit and then continue on with the children tagging along.  But, in the meantime, memories were made and the children were given the message that they are important.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should proofread before I submit a comment, that way I won't have to delete it and start over. Well said Crystal. There is no doubt in my mind that everything you do in Haiti is for the glory and honor of the Lord and to help the Haitian people know the salvation found in Jesus Christ. You do nothing there with any expectation of glory for yourself. May God continue to bless you and those who work with you. You are truly an inspiration to me and so many other others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't really been over seas to do mission work but reading your blog has really opened my eyes to the way we as Americans think about those in third world countries. They aren't in need of our help, they don't need us to be happy. We are just people. We are called to give glory to God, build relationships/friendships with others, and flesh out Christ. It breaks my heart to realize how many people go overseas to accomplish their agenda and not God's agenda. To look to Christ and walk as he walked. I too have probably been guilty of this but I pray and strive to be like Christ in everyday. Continue to let The Lord use you as his hands and feet Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback. It blesses me more than you know! God is good and He uses us all in different ways- I pray this helps people think a little differently and that God is glorified in all.....
    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 25 years ago I was taught a mission strategy that has never left me: Learner, Servant, Storyteller. The concept and theology was that you go to foreign environments and the mission field, whether short-term or long-term with a humble attitude looking to learn and serve. And then when you had entered into real relationships with people, you were allowed to "swap stories" of God at work in your life.

    One think I appreciated about the ministry through which we met is that they put the pastors agenda first- well actually, they put it second. What they put first was Holy Spirit's agenda. Every day began with asking God what His agenda was. This was then looked at in relationship to what the pastor and community wanted- and that's how the "agenda" was decided. Like you, I get shocked and dismayed by groups who arrive with THEIR agendas and are clueless to the arrogance they convey (even if they are well-intentioned). Thank you for going with a servant and relationship-oriented heart Crystal.

    And I must say I am surprised that you get asked about the "worst thing." In 25 years of ministry I'm seldom asked that. Definitely get asked it occasionally, but not too often. I wonder if the geographic places we live in the world influence the questions we get asked? Having lived in the West, the South and the Midwest, I'm usually asked questions about "What is it like there?" and "How can we best help?" But what a neat opportunity you've turned it into when people do ask you that to gently educate and turn their focus to Jesus. My prayer is that you will continue to carry that focus in your heart of always seeking to glorify God and rather than succumbing to self agendas, promoting "serve agendas (and "serve" as defined by the nationals, not the visitors). I have no doubt you will keep that focus as I've heard it in your heart since the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Melinda- That means a lot too! I agree totally with that ministry focus and you are right- it's the way God has created me to minister and has always been the way He has used me best. I still have VERY good friends in every location where He has called me to serve over the years. And I too am shocked. I think it's because Haiti is on the news so much and people assume it's so dangerous or sad there. I am truthful when I say I get asked it a lot and it's funny cause I shared this blog on facebook and I had a friend who is a photographer for a news paper and another who is a police officer both tell me they get the same question all the time. I think people just like sensationalism and hearing "gossip" or stories as they like to call it. But, I get it from friends from all over- especially teams that come to serve. I try to handle it as gently as possible and use the "teachable moments" He has blessed me with. I certainly don't have all the answers but I am learning more and more what it means to follow and model Him! -Crystal

    ReplyDelete