Thursday, June 20, 2013

BUSY BUSY

Wow- where to start????  I got in on Tuesday to Haiti and we immediately (after stopping for a sandwich and to catch up a bit and look at the "to do" list with Redgi) went to Digicel and Natcom.  The first is the phone company and the second is internet.  We got sim cards for my phone so I can use my iphone in Haiti as well as recharged the internet stick for the laptop and got a plan for Redgi's phone so he has internet all the time on it.  Now, he can set up a "hot spot" when we are out and I should be able to update easier from my phone.  The clincher?? I need power to charge it- hahahaha.  We then came to the house where we unloaded the suitcases and he showed me the new water system they put on the roof.  It is not operating yet so we have no water our section of the house so I have been doing bucket showers and conserving the two buckets of water we have.

Yesterday (Wed.) I got up early and worked on unpacking not only the two suitcases I brought but a bunch of other smaller boxes I had of office supplies and things.  We rearranged the staff room and created a work area which includes three small filing cabinets and the desk, the printer, etc. and I began to organize that.  We had a 9:45 am. appointment with a fellow missionary friend at her place to talk about some situations/concerns she had, to catch up, and to share advice one to another. Then James, Redgi and I went to meet with Pastor Martin (our new contact) to talk about some plans for the summer.  We were originally going to help him build up his church building, however, after talking to him more in depth he has a greater need.  He needs a "depot" build which would house food and other supplies and keep them safe and dry.  The existing depot is being used by a family for housing. We spent many hours with he and his wife just getting to know them, hear a little more about their ministry, share an amazing lunch, pray together, etc... It was fantastic!

After leaving the countryside we arrived back home where we sat with the schedules for the summer and talked about logistics for a few hours- particularly in regard to Pastor Yves and the orphanage.  I wanted to be sure Redgi/James both know as much as possible what God has put on my heart for the teams so they can clearly communicate that to our ministry partners and others.  After compiling quite a list of questions for Pastor Yves we set out (at 5 pm.) for the orphanage and James left us.  We drove directly to the orphanage where we met with Pastor and his wife and got to hear about his life and that of the orphans since I left in March.  I was so excited to hear that he has a second grandson- born just four days ago!  Also, his one daughter is getting married on the 29th and we were invited but a team comes that day so I doubt I will go.

During the meeting a horrific thunderstorm blew through Port au Prince heading toward Carrefour so we quickly called James who took a moto to the base and tried to beat it (he lives about 2 miles from base and we were about 30 min. away) but quite a bit of stuff got wet which we will deal with today.  I should know better but it is just so hot when you close up the house and nothing happens.  Argh!

We left the orphanage at about 8 pm, grabbed a quick bite to eat and went to Redgi's house where we were greeted by his mom and SPARKY!!!!  Wow did he grow!  He is above my knees and looks just like a doberman.  It is still dark as I write this and we had no power yet today so I can not really get the complete idea of how large he is.  He is much better behaved than when I left- quieter and calmer.  I will post photos as soon as I can (4% batter on the phone and not too much more on the computer).

Thanks for the prayers- I know this is long, but we have been so busy.  Today we have a meeting at 1 pm. with Pastor Robby and his family and then at 4:30 pm. with Dr. Carl and that should conclude the ministry partner meetings.  When we sat with the list of "to do" items Redgi and James just laughed when looking at the list compared with the days we have to get things done.  "Not gonna happen" is a favorite quote.  LOL  We will see what God has planned- His ways are best anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment