Thursday, August 23, 2012

Back to "normal"

I hesitate to write that cause I really don't know what "normal" is or if it even exists, but what I meant by that is that I have been home for almost two weeks and life is back to my normal USA life.  Working on paperwork, making phone calls and networking, scheduling trips, corresponding with Haiti, planning speaking engagements, praying about what God has for HU, board meetings, fund raising work, etc...  Both of my lives are vastly different but both are equally exciting.  I truly LOVE what God has called me to and though I would love to be living in Haiti all the time, it's not reality right now.  But for now, here are some of my favorite photos from this last trip to Haiti and some of the things I miss...

I miss lobster on the beach- they row out in a small canoe and dive down to catch them and then bring them back to cook over the open fire on the beach for us.  One of my vices when I need some "God and me" time!  

The "lobster beach"- just beautiful here. I roam the beach and collect shells and just lay/enjoy the view.

I never want to forget the horror of the earthquake.  Many people went through so much!  I miss talking to people, hearing their earthquake stories and just getting to know them and hear about their lives and culture.

I miss having teams and watching them interact with the children.  Her's Logan as Joseph with his tie of many colors (we didn't have a coat- OK??)
 Here are some of my favorite Chaveneau children ... I miss them so much!


I miss hiking in the mountains with the children following along- slipping a little hand into mine.  

I miss so much more than these photos show.  The orphanage and children there, my "Haitian son" James, my other friends, walking in Carrefour in search of street food by myself and then feeling so excited to see how God provided just the right people to help me with my limited Creole speaking skills, the hospitality of Americans and Haitians alike when I need a respite, feeling closer to God than I ever do at home, the beautiful ocean and mountains, etc.. And yes!  I even miss the rooster crowing all night, the horns blaring in crazy traffic, never having personal space (always having Haitians leaning on me or touching me no matter that it is 90 degrees and humid), and the dust!  ;)

Until I return these (and MANY other photos) will be looked at a lot.  :)  :)  :)  Hope you enjoy them - seeing a little of my life in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment