Thursday, March 24, 2011

Leaving Tomorrow

Tomorrow morning at this time I hope to already be at or near the airport in New York- ready for my flight to Haiti.  The team of 13 people arrives on Sunday in three "shifts"- one at 7 am, one at 11 am and the final one at 3 pm.  Many will have started travel on Saturday just to arrive in Haiti so please be in prayer for this team as they travel- that things will go well and there will be no problems with their connections, their flights, etc... 

We will meet each group at the airport in Port au Prince and will drive them to the housing location which is located about an hour away (depends on traffic- distance is not far at all).  Once to the house, they will set up "camp", introduce themselves and prepare for a week of ministry together.  God has hand picked this team and all are amazing people of faith who have trusted in Him and answered His call to come to Haiti THIS week with THIS organization.  That alone is always a blessing to me.  I can not wait to meet them (I have only met two for a few minutes and one I know rather well) and minister with them. 

When I get to Port au Prince tomorrow I have many things to organize in preparation for the team coming.  Michael has taken care of A LOT of the details, but some things need to be done together.  He is quite organized and takes this "job" very seriously so I am sure things will go well.

I was talking to a good friend last night and she reminded me that the enemy would love to cause division within the group- especially the leadership of the group.  Just like he did with the disciples.  He used Judas who was one of those closest to Jesus to betray Him.  So, we need to be prepared and ready when the "attacks" come and not let anything divide us because if we are not unified as leaders, then we can not lead effectively.   Matthew 12:25 says:  Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand"     So, therefore we ask your prayers for unity most of all.  That we will continue to seek God and His will for this trip and follow after that and that His will is made clear to BOTH of us so that there is no chance for division.  Thank you!

We have told the group that they can tell their family/friends to check this blog regularly during the week and that we will do our best to keep it updated when we have electricity/internet available.  You never know with Haiti but we are blessed that the Arris house even has these things availalable sometimes- most housing locations do not.  We will at least try to post when the entire team has arrived (that they are safe) and after our trip to Chaveneau is completed because that is a LONG day of travel for the group.  We welcome your prayers during the week and would encourage you to check this blog as well to see what God is doing in Haiti and how He is answering your prayers for us. 

Blessings!  -Crystal Funk

PS- I mentioned Chaveneau above- let me explain what I meant by that.  One day of the trip (tentatively Tuesday right now) we will all travel to Chaveneau to see the school and land there.  This will be a LONG day for the team- leaving very early in the morning for a 4 1/2 hour drive to Chaveneau.  We will then see the school, meet some of the parents/teachers, walk around, etc... and then we will drive BACK to Carrefour where we are staying- another 4 1/2 hours!  It will be a VERY busy day but should be a fun one too!  We have hired a driver to transport us and we should only have to walk about 3 miles and wade through one "river" but we will see.  Travel in Haiti is very unpredictable so prayers for this trip in particular would be very much welcomed! 

1 comment:

  1. Crystal! My excitement about coming down to work in June is growing! I am thinking that I may move my arrival up a week to early June and stay 3 weeks. This gets me back home before my daughter Heather comes home to visit July 4th weekend.

    Hopefully there will still be something for me to do in June. 8-)

    ReplyDelete