Tuesday, August 13, 2013

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I was blessed to be able to witness one of the most beautiful moments of my life and I will be forever grateful to our God for allowing me to be even a small part of all that occurred.  Here's a little of the story....

Many of you ask me "How did you and Redgi meet?" or "Where did you find such an amazing coordinator?" and I tell the story of how I met a newspaper editor from my home town (doing an article on our organization) and he told me of a translator in Haiti looking for a more permanent position. Whether you know Redgi for one week, or a year and a half now as I do, you come to realize what a responsible and hard working man he is- but you come to realize more.  He is a man of great faith.  This comes from his mom (whom we all love and many of you know) and his dad.  He totally trusts God in all aspects of his life.  I have learned much from his faith in God and reliance on Him.

And after meeting his mother (she is our cook), the next logical question from teams was often, "Where is his father?" or "Is he involved in the family when so many Haitian men are not?" to which I would give various answers but never the truth.  The truth WAS that Redgi's dad was in prison for a crime he never committed.  He was there since October of 2010 -- never charged with anything, just waiting and "in holding".  

If you know anything about Haitian prisons, this was not a good situation for Redgi's father.  For all this time, his family has loved him, prayed for him and stood by him.  There are few visitors allowed to the prison so Redgi's mom got to see him maybe five times since he was arrested, but the rest of the family could not.  He did call home occasionally.  I have watched the toll this took on the family- to have court date after court date come and go because it was cancelled for one reason or another.  I have prayed with them when they received word that yet another "shady" lawyer or person they hired to help had betrayed them and left with the money or not promised the services they had paid for (though they would not let me help financially- instead choosing to trust God).  

So, yesterday I must admit that it was with reservation that I prayed with Redgi in the morning for a hearing we were told was to happen in PAP to see if there was any evidence to charge his dad.  We were teaching automotive repair classes in Carrefour and Redgi was translating yet he checked in often with his family during the day. The appointment went as scheduled.  The police talked to both sides and we were even able to drive past the courthouse as we ran errands later yesterday afternoon so Redgi could get a glimpse of his father inside but the investigators were talking to him.  All the time we were praying and trusting that God had a plan and (of course) hoping that plan included freedom.  Then, at about 6:30 pm. we received the word..... HIS DAD WAS FREE.  Absolutely no evidence (which we all knew) to charge him with anything. 

Immediately I asked Redgi if he wanted to go home to greet his father and to see him/touch him/hug him for the first time in nearly three years.  And I asked if it would be appropriate for me to come along.  Both answers were "yes"!  Watching that family rejoicing, meeting this man I had heard about, and witnessing the smiles/hugs/laughter was something out of a movie.  And ALL the credit/glory goes to God our Father who loves us so much!  

Would God still have been the same had the outcome been different?  Of course!  His ways don't always make sense to us, but I praise Him that this story is His and there is one happy family in Haiti today that I love with all my heart.

 Please pray for the many in prisons all over the world who are unjustly charged or even waiting to be charged as Redgi's father was.  Pray also please for this family who will endure many adjustments to find a new normal- but thank Him and praise Him along with us that this new normal includes all five members once again!  Mesi Jesi ANPIL.....

Sorry- but there was no electricity so it was dark- this is the best one of all the family!  SOOOOOO happy!  

1 comment: