Sunday, August 25, 2013

Ten days!

Has it really been ten days since I last wrote on here (or really had internet available for that matter)?  I guess based upon the dates on this site it has!  Wow!  So much has happened I don't really know where to begin.  Let me try since I know some of you have really been curious and I keep getting, "Are you OK?" e-mails.....

First of all, the two medical students who had been staying at our base while doing their final clinical rotation/internship decided to leave Haiti five days early so we bought them tickets for the bus to Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic and on Friday, August 16th they left Haiti enroute to "home" in Miami.  By now they are graduates and ready to take their national boards (exams) to officially be recognized as Physician Assistants.  They did a GREAT job while with us- serving the people of Haiti that God brought their way.  We have been able to follow up on some of their patients and all report much improvement thanks to either treatment or medicine they received.  Praise God for His provision and healing power as well!

After taking the students to the bus station, Redgi had the next three days "off" which means I stayed in Carrefour alone (with James checking in and out).  I used this time to balance receipts and enter them into the computer, organize donations, make lists (I am GOOD at making lists- ask the staff here), take inventory of all the remaining items in the kitchen and storage closet, and even read a book!

Monday Redgi returned and we got right to work running errands (we took school supplies to the local orphanage, bought more school books- STILL some on back order so we have to do that again this coming week or he does after I leave), met with Pastor Cornet about the water system in Chaveneau, and spent TWO days at the hospital in Mirebalais.  The first day we were at the hospital from about 8:30 am (which meant leaving at 5 am from Carrefour) until about 4 pm. and the second day from 8:00 am until 6:30 pm- returning after 10:00 pm!!  I also had a friend come and stay for the night and from Tues into Wed.  BUSY BUSY!!

Friday morning we headed (Redgi and I) to the southern part of Haiti.  Mostly this trip was to have some time to RELAX and talk about the future plans for Hearts United.  This meant a lot of time in prayer, meeting and talking to potential ministry partners and doing some serious goal setting- as individuals and as an organization.  God is making some things very clear and others are soooo uncertain so we welcome your prayers.  I will be posting a "report" on this whole hospital thing but, frankly, we are all still processing a lot ourselves and just not yet ready to share much.  Know that we DO care about you and will update as soon as possible, however, we need to still seek God's direction as to how much we should/desire to share with everyone.  I pray you understand!  Know that we sooooo appreciate your prayers and encouragement though!  It is a blessing.

So, I finally have internet I can use on my computer thanks to the generous sharing of one of my new friends!  I will post more when I can.... God bless!  -Crystal

(PS- I return to the USA on Wed. but return to Carrefour on Monday when my "to do" list includes about 20 things!  Pray we return refreshed and ready to conquer all that we need and that time/circumstances are in our favor.  Thanks!)

Some of the school books we bought- over $1100 spent just on books for 37 children so far!

Some school supplies taken to the local orphanage (at Madame Esther's place)

My niece (Willow- she is 5 years old) had the children at her school make necklaces for children.  We gave a bunch of them out to the children at the local orphanage.  Each had the name of the child who made it and their age.  

More of the children with their bags (with a necklace inside)

This is one of the new developments north of Port au Prince (on the way to Mirebalais)

On the way south we stopped to see this old fort.  It is called Fort Oliver and it was so neat to explore!

Boat on shore in the south- along the coast near Port Salut.

A view from the road on the way to see the caves near Port a Piment.

Marie Jeanne Cave (had to go through the jungle to get there and up a HUGE mountain.  Thought I would die)

Inside the cave- we took MANY photos.  It was beautiful but a crazy hike.

Another view of the coastline going along the southwestern coast of Haiti.  


2 comments:

  1. Love reading these Crystal! Thank you! Hope to see you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying heavy prayers Crystal! Much love coming your way!! The kids look so happy with the necklaces!! I know its favoritism... But Fabine is shining with that smile!! Give my love and hugs to the kids at Madame Esthers.. Missing them! and you!! :) See you soon!

    ReplyDelete