Thursday, August 8, 2013

Haiti Craziness!

Sorry I have not updated and I only have about 3 minutes to complete this update now cause we are all leaving for a medical clinic today in St. Marc but we wanted you to know we are all fine!  Here's a recap for those of you worried...

Sat. 8/3 I met Redgi on the way to the airport to drop off the team leaving.  He had already been to the airport and picked up 2 new people- interns with my Haitian doctor for the next 3 weeks.  We switched vehicles and I drove them home while he proceeded to the airport with the team to see them off.  Meanwhile, the interns and I came here (their names are Allison and Sarah) and we got settled, worked on receipts, sorted laundry, got an orientation, met with the doctor to plan their internship, etc.... CRAZY!

Sun- We all hung around the house and rested, visited the local orphanage, bought phone minutes, etc...

Mon- I left at 5 am to drive to the city to meet Redgi to take a friend to the new Hospital in Mirbaliais where I was in for quite an introduction to Haitian health care (like I didn't have that already with Jean Bernard).... I will post more later, but suffice it to say we ended up spending 2.5 days there waiting and seeing different people.  Overall, I was VERY VERY impressed with the facilities and technology.  This is a Paul Farmer hospital (Partners in Health) so it is very well equipped and they consult with Boston weekly about all cases.  So, I think we will get good care in the end- it's just a LOT of waiting and trying to see people.

Yesterday I was to meet with the insurance company again but never got there- praise God the man who hit me is being so patient.  We are still talking about $500 to $700 more at least to fix the Montero and we put $750 into it so far.  That's a "Haitian fix" too.... just pulling on some stuff and making it so the doors close, etc... Kevin (my mechanic friend) is here now so he can see what he thinks needs to be done.

We picked up the new group yesterday and they are well- dinner at E'pidor and we got organized/situated well.  Not much power lately apparently but we are making due.  Water tank is about empty.  :'(

I will write more later since I DID get Kevin to bring a new computer down (mine was acting stupid- virus I am sure).... Thanks for the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment