Saturday, November 26, 2016

NO WORDS


     I honestly don’t even know where to start.  I have seen the photos. I have heard the stories.  Redgi even sent me videos.  But still, there are absolutely no words to describe what I saw, felt, and experienced yesterday as I traveled back to Chaveneau for the first time.  This is a community I love and lived in off and on for 2 years of my life.  I have good friends there.  People I have come to know, love and respect.  People who have taught me so much- not just about living in Haiti, but about myself and about God/faith.  People who persevere-  even after this horrible tragedy.  People who are facing even more in the months and years to come if they do not get back on their feet soon (planting crops, replacing fruit trees and animals, etc) when the dry season hits and food becomes even more scarce than it is right now.  Yet…. they are people with JOY.  People who call my name and run to me when I get out of the car- with tears (from both of us) when we see one another for the first time.  People who ask about my family and want to hear stories of the time we have been apart.  People who share what it was like during the hurricane- the constant prayers and the fear.  People who thank me over and over for the warnings prior to the hurricane and the supplies/assistance for them and the community after it passed.  People who have been given supplies from our organization (thanks to many of YOU) yet openly share those supplies with their neighbors.  WOW.  

     I could go on and on, but right now I just don’t have the words…..  I will say that the media is not exaggerating.  There were actually times on the drive to Chaveneau when I had to tell Redgi to stop just so I could get my bearings and understand where I was.  It looks like a war zone.  There is barely a house visible along the 7 mile drive without some sort of damage to their roof- IF they have a roof left.  Physically it will be a very long time until the landscape recovers.  But, the trees are starting to sprout new growth and the fields are being planted (with corn and beans in Chaveneau thanks to seeds we were able to purchase with donated funds).  Soon trees will be delivered- mango, avocado, breadfruit, plantain, …   People are tired, weary and some still displaced from their homes.  But, they are still joyful and so thankful to God for sparing their lives.  The rest can be replaced.  In time.  With a little help.  Then, they will maintain it as they did before the storm.  

      Today we head out to do medical relief- mobile.  Walking among the community and meeting those in need.  Hearing stories.  Praying together.  Offering hope and a “you are not forgotten- by us or by God”.  Thankful to be joined by my friend Laura from Project Aftershock.  This community that gave me so much is still giving.  I pray we are as much of a blessing to them and that God gets all the credit.  He is using you and your donations to bless so many!  Thank you!   

(sorry only one photo, but it takes FOREVER to upload them..... I will try again when I have better signal)

This photo is of a random house on the drive to Chaveneau.... MANY looked like this though!  )

No comments:

Post a Comment