Monday, August 4, 2014

The Haitian Missionary! Who knew??

WOW!! This will be a difficult blog to put into words for me, but I will try. Ever since I have been coming to Haiti it has been obvious to me that God is guiding and directing the path- of my life, the ministry, and of thise He has led us to partner with. As we have gone along on this journey there have been extremes. Extreme pain, grief and sadness (losing a few close friends to medical issues completely treatable in the USA, losing a ministry partner I loved and trusted, watching friends be hurt or struggle in their ministry and eventually leave Haiti for good, etc). Extreme joy (leading teams as they grow abd experience God in new ways, having God direct us to new ministries that are obviously where He has placed us, the sense of family He has created for me here, etc). 

Yesterday was one of those extreme JOY days for sure!!I We went to church and Pastor Robby called me up front to say goodbye since it was probably my last church service of the summer. I spoke about how blessed I am by my church family in Haiti and how i knew many of them by face in June but now I know them by name and feel they are friends rather than acquaintances now after ministering together all summer.  I told how I look forward to coming each week and  feel as though something is missing if I am not there. This is how we should feel about God. Excited to be in His presence. Excited to spend time with Him. Feeling like something is lacking if we do not make that efffort/time. 

Then the conversation became emotional as I told them (I guess you could call it confession) that, sadly, I do not feel that passion/ JOY in my home church in the USA and have not for a long time. Part of that is because I attend so infrequently because I am always in Haiti or speaking at another church but part is that for a while they have been struggling with some internal issues and growing pains as we all do. Many have left and those  remaining are tired and weary from the battle. It is because of commitment and obligation sometimes that I attend-not from desire to be there.

 And then I put into words in front of my Haitian church family what I have been feeling for a long time. I let them in on a secret and now you will know too. I let them know the truth about my life and what God has been showing me... "I am NOT who people think I am. They think I am a missionary frim the USA to Haiti. BUT God has shown me and told me I am a missionary from Haiti to the USA and you are my sending church. I leave this summer filled and equipped to share the love of God with the people I know back home in ways I did not feel emotionally prepared for and able to do when I left them to come here in June"

I truly believe that- especially after the summer I have had here. I believe my American church has much to learn from the Haitian church and the American people from the Haitians!! (I do still think the reverse is true too- there needs to be mutual sharing and growth- hence Hearts United WITH Haiti)

After speaking they had a spontaneous offering for me (and the ministry God has given me), they washed my feet and one-by-one they came to hug me or pray over me for this mission back "home" to the USA next week. 

In three months I will return and give testimony to this church of the work their missionary to the USA has experienced and how God has used me (and them) to touch lives for eternity. 

I am blessed beyond words as I reflect on His goodness to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment