Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Unexpected

This is Haiti. Today had a couple of unexpected/unplanned things that made us laugh and say "This is Haiti." We visited a hospital this morning. Very interesting to see the care women get (maternity). Then we sat in traffic on our way to the orphanage. Lots of traffic, plus it was raining so we drove through puddles of mud/trash/whatever! We made it to the orphanage. As we walked in the doors, I looked up to the top of the hill and there was Robinson looking down. I waved and his face lit up and he waved back. So cool! It was good to give him a hug, walk around with him holding my hand, seeing him "hang out" with Ethan. He's a cute boy! Towards the end of our time with them, he came running up to me, handed me a pen and pointed to his palm. I got the translator to come over and he said "Robinson wants you to write your name on his hand." So I did and had him write his name on mine. A special (unexpected) moment I'll never forget, even though the pen has washed off now (don't worry, I got pictures!). I got to give some dental hygiene instruction and hand out the kits we made (toothbrush, floss, toothpaste---thank you coworkers for helping to donate them!). Then on our way home, we heard a hissing sound....FLAT TIRE! It didn't take long for the driver to find someone to help. And thankfully it wasn't raining at that time. Home, supper, relaxing, talking. Ethan got to "play soccer" with Franzi again (upstairs there's a balcony/porch area). They were laughing and keeping score even though they each speak very little of the other's language. Boys playing....don't need to understand too much, just have fun! I have to laugh....Ethan right now is watching Kung Fu Panda with some of the "older kids" of the family here....but it's in French! Ha! I'm really enjoying the group we have here too. I think we are the perfect mix, and they are all very helpful to keep tabs on Ethan, which I'm VERY thankful for! Thanks again for the continued prayers. I'm missing home a little more (Dave and Livvie Liv), but still loving all the things we see here!!
 Alison

3 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed reading your updates. Praying for you all. Sounds like a very exciting week so far. How awesome that you got to meet Robinson not only once but have seen him since. :) Enjoy your day!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving for Angola in an hour or so. My heart is so sad to miss our morning walk and chats. But I love reading your updates and know that you are where God wants you to be. Last year we were in Guatemala over Angola, this year you are in Haiti. Let's go somewhere together next year!!!

    Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to see Robinson again. I look forward to seeing pictures. It's great to hear that you are getting to do hygiene as planned. It's really cool when things don't go as planned and then God brings along something better. We miss you, but we do appreciate the detailed updates. Liv is on her way to Angola. I agree with Jewel. Next year we should go somewhere together (God willing).

    I'm glad that the chemistry among the team is so good. Tell the team I said hi. I am praying for you all. May God use you even more your last full day.

    Love, Dave

    ReplyDelete