Monday, October 3, 2011

School has begun!

Today school began for the 2011/2012 year with 200 students!  YES!  I said, TWO HUNDRED!  Last year there were 75 (we thought we would have 12 to 15 originally-  WOW God) and the building was full when we went to visit.  I can not personally imagine another 125 children there.  But good thing God isn't limited by MY imagination.  He is moving in Haiti and it's absolutely amazing to watch it happen.

I spoke with Michael on Friday (twice- once the poor man was stuck on the side of the road while taking public transportation with 24 chalkboards and "a whole bunch of wood to build stuff" and other school supplies- the bus had broken down- "this is Haiti") and he was excited to get to Chaveneau with the supplies to get things ready.  Then he called Sunday afternoon with a HUGE surprise for me.  He said, "Mom, someone here wants to talk to you" and then proceeded to put Jude on the phone.  This sweet little voice said, "Hello" and then when I asked who it was he replied, "Jude".  I couldn't believe it! Jude is the little boy in many of my photos- he is the profile photo for the Hearts United with Haiti page on facebook and was on my personal facebook for a long time in a photo with me holding him. I know I shouldn't have favorites but I do have about 10 little ones that I have really bonded with after living in the community. But, what a blessing it was to hear his sweet little voice all the way from Haiti.  Oh how I love that little boy and the people of Chaveneau.

Anyway, back to Michael's phone calls.  He told me that they realized there was no way to fit all the students into the church/school so they are building three outdoor classrooms under the trees where we held Bible School and had as our "team area" this past summer.  This is so exciting to me.  I can not wait to get there in December and see first hand what the classrooms look like.

Please pray for the students, teachers and the Arris/Beaubrun families as they all adjust to this new school year and the expectations, demands on time, challenges it will bring.  But rejoice with us as we praise God for this overwhelming response to this project.  We are so thankful for Pastor Duval who followed God- even though many thought it didn't make sense to put a school in Chaveneau.  God rewards our obedience to Him and MANY will benefit from this school/church/etc...

I will send out my newsletter for October soon- you will be amazed by what God is doing when you read of all that has been happening - both in this organization and in Haiti.  :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment