Friday, January 6, 2017

Blog: Final night

         Today we had to say goodbye to half of the team. After one last group devotional, the Malone group left for the airport with Redgi. This left Morgan, Anthony, Crystal, and I to a day of doing whatever we wanted to do before we leave tomorrow. I had wanted to visit a family that we met on our first full day here. The father had met a group from Hearts United before and had told his kids to be on the lookout for us. When his kids saw us last Thursday, they grabbed him and he ran out inviting us to come into his home. He was so sweet and told us he had been waiting to see us. He showed us his beautiful chairs he makes for a living and talked about how involved he was in his local church. This morning, I was thinking about his family and wanted to check up on them again. When Anthony, James, and I went to his house today, he told us that the next time we are in Haiti we need to visit him so we can continue to have a friendship.
          Meanwhile, Crystal and Morgan visited Madame Marie and then organized the medicine closet. Later in the day, we all walked to the grocery store to buy some gifts to bring home from Haiti. We came back to the base with a cake and it was DELICIOUS- and I’m not even a cake person.
         I have been giving Mr. Alvarez English lessons all week. Tonight we continued that, and even Mano joined in. That has honestly been one of the highlights of this trip. Mr. Alvarez is the sweetest man and I have loved getting to spend time with him over the past couple of days. Not only was I teaching him English, he was also teaching me Creole.
         After talking with Mr. Alvarez, we had our final Haitian dinner, which never disappoints. The rest of the night is going to be filled with packing, hanging out, and doing some last minute things around the base. It still doesn’t feel real that I am leaving tomorrow. There are so many things about Haiti that I love and will miss. And when I walk out of the airport into the cool Philadelphia air, the heat and sunshine of Haiti will definitely be one of those things!

- Cassandra

P.S. None of the group flew into Ft. Lauderdale today so there is nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment