Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summer of 2011

It all began on June 10th when my "baby" (youngest daughter) graduated from High School and less than 12 hours later my husband and I were on our way to Haiti - me for 9 weeks and Ron for 3.  At the time many asked, "Why are you going?",  "Your family needs to be your focus- why spend so much time/energy on those people?" or "All you talk about is Haiti, Haiti, Haiti.  Don't forget God has given you a mission field here in the states too."   Sometimes though they mean well, those words/thoughts are just what the enemy uses later to keep me from being an effective minister for God.  I find myself asking the same questions when I am alone here in Haiti and homesick- missing my girls and husband so much.  But, then I hear that soft voice that says, "Crystal, you have not chosen this path - I have chosen it FOR you.  If you let me, I will teach you much.  I will help you grow and I will show you things that may not make sense now, but some day you will be able to use those lessons to bless others in My name."

So, I sit here with one week left in Haiti.  I should have two weeks left, but I am coming home a week earlier than expected - both to give Michael a little more time to see people/do things and more importantly because God has said, "it is time- your work in Haiti for the summer of 2011 is done".  It has been an AMAZING summer- God has been so good and it has obviously been exactly (again) where He has called me.  I have made LOTS of contacts and friends along the way.I have grown more and more "independent/dependent" in the process (independent- meaning I have learned to stand up for myself and those I am serving, dependent- meaning I have learned to rely on Him totally to provide)  I have seen other ministries and been given a glimpse of what God can do when we are in obedience to His will.  God has spoken directly to me about the future of Hearts United with Haiti and my future here and (better yet) He has confirmed that through my husband and best friend of over 30 years.  :)

So... what does that future look like???  I believe it involves bringing short term mission teams to Haiti- to present them with the opportunity to come alongside Pastor Duval (and eventually other pastors) and to partner together to bring proper nutrition, medical care, education, etc. to those in Haiti who are lacking those basic things.  But, more importantly it involves building relationships with the people of Haiti- to work WITH them, to learn FROM them, to pour into one another's lives and to become UNITED in our desire to spread God's love and message of salvation to His people.

 If we only come to Haiti to feed people, to care for their health needs, to teach them we have created a community of people who will live longer and healthier but did we REALLY make a difference?  We need to show them Jesus.  The Jesus we love.  The Jesus who loves them.  That Jesus is real folks- I know Him and have seen Him at work in Haiti.  We need to show them His love in concrete ways-- by getting involved in their lives, by loving them like He does.

 Everyone wants to know they matter.  Everyone wants to know their life has meaning to another.  Everyone wants to feel special.  The people of Chaveneau DO matter, their lives DO have meaning and they ARE special.  Very special.  Anyone who has had the chance to travel to this amazing place knows that.  God has shown me very clearly that some day Ron and I will live in Chaveneau or another part of Haiti.  We will form many friendships there (already have) and we will be used by Him to bring others to that community (and other communities) and to help this world become a bit "smaller"- that together we all learn that we are NOT so different from the Haitians.

Yes, materially we have more but is that what life is about? We can not take our wealth or posessions with us when we die and they can not guarantee our happiness. Yes, we have food to eat- in abundance while they go hungry.  We waste so much and they use every little bit they have. Yes, we have a faith in God but do we TRULY rely on Him and trust Him when we can just go to our bank account or to the corner store to get what we "need"?  We have much to learn from Haiti and other third world countries. MUCH to learn.

So as I look back upon this summer I realize how BLESSED I have been to have this opportunity two years in a row.  The chance to form relationships with some GREAT friends- lifetime relationships.  The chance to immerse myself in a new culture, learn a new language (it's going slowly but I'm trying), to spend time with my God- growing in my love relationship with Him.  I am soooooo grateful He has given me this time (two years in a row) in Haiti.  I am soooo grateful to those of you who have prayed for me, for the ministry, for the participants I have had,  and who have supported us in other ways.  Thank you just doesn't seem adequate.  But know that you matter- you have made a difference and God will reward you for your faithfulness and desire to serve Him in whatever way you do.  I for one have been changed this summer and it is due to many of YOU.

Blessings from Haiti- (for at least one more week)....

PS- there is a tropical storm expected to hit here later tonight and tomorrow- please pray for the MANY who are still living in tents or under tarps.  We see them every day and my heart breaks for them.  Pray for Pastor Duval as he travels to Chaveneau early tomorrow morning with his wife and some others from the "home church" here in Carrefour- they are going on a mission trip there to work with the children and the community.  Pray for my last week- that I can get done all I need to get done before I leave- not quite sure yet when I will return (God knows).  And pray for the future of Hearts United with Haiti- that God will send people to partner with us/Pastor Duval- either by coming to Haiti, raising funds for the school/medical center/food for the community, praying for our ministry, etc... and THANK YOU -

No comments:

Post a Comment