Sunday, July 15, 2018

Rachel's blog

        I cannot explain the incredible anxiety I felt the day of our flight.  Though, I wasn’t afraid of the warnings against going, it was the thought of going somewhere completely new that frightened me to death, but as soon as I stepped foot outside the airport and into Haiti, an incredible peace came over me.  In fact, I felt quite at home as we rode the bus through the hectic streets, as crazy as that might sound.  The people of Haiti are so friendly and it’s very contagious.  I am an introverted person who doesn’t necessarily like getting touched, but I didn’t feel any qualms about their show of love in church this morning.  I was amazed at how many people and children came up to me, hugged me, and told me thank you for coming.  It truly blessed my heart.
        My favorite part of today, though, was our trip up to the lookout that consisted of the ruins of an old church that was built high up on the mountain.  The trek up the last hill almost killed me but the view was worth it.  And on the way back down amidst all the slips and stumbles on the uneven road, we split up into groups and were able to pray with many of the people along the way.
        Even though, the heat is near unbearable, I am still so happy and blessed to be here.  I wouldn’t trade this week for the world, and I cannot wait to see what new adventure God has in store for me tomorrow!  Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement.
-Rachel Mayo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! I know you don't know me, but I am so glad you are there! I am from the PA group that has been with Pastor Robby's church the last 3 years. I can totally relate to the stumbles down the mountain. Last summer, I took quite a spill coming down, ripped my shorts & needed to be bandaged up when I got back to the base! In all my years coming to Haiti, that was a first! You guys are truly going to have a great week. If I can challenge your team with anything, I would say to learn as many names as you can. Someone told me once when they go to a restaurant, they always try to remember their waiter/waitresses name, because that is their identity. That small piece of information has stuck with me & I really try to work hard on people's names, including how they are spelled. It is their identity & the kids love when you can remember their names. I am excited to watch you all from afar this week, but also a little sad too, to not be there. It is a great church, has great leaders & they love the kids well! And if you meet a little 9 year old girl named Shaell this week, please squeeze her extra tight for me! Sorry for the long comment, I promise they won't always be this long! Yes, I will be stalking you guys this week, but praying for you so much!

    ReplyDelete