Thursday, December 20, 2012

Welcome Home!

Welcome home...those were the first two words that I heard from Crystal when walking out of the airport into Haiti. My first trip to Haiti was in May of 2012 and I fell in love with the country and the people here. I have always known that I want to do missions work, specifically medical missions, so it has been a blessing to be able to come back and be the hands and feet of the Lord. I knew there was something special about Haiti when i flew in for the very first time, and it was very difficult to go home from that trip not knowing when I was coming back. I was very excited to be invited back here for this December trip and when flying in, I did have a sense that I was coming home. Part of my heart has belonged to Haiti and the girls in the orphanage here since my fist trip in May. It was definitely a God thing that I ended up in Haiti for this trip and I could not be happier. We have done so many different things on this trip and it has been a very humbling experience to be able to bless so many people in so many different ways. Seeing God work throughout the group and our days experiences has been amazing, even down to the little things like finding a back way home to avoid hours of traffic. God has put each and everyone of us in the group for a purpose and has been using us all in huge ways. One of the big projects we have been working on, with the last group that was here, is a construction project. With the tools that we had to use, and the lack of power tools, the amount of work we got done was amazing. No one would believe everything we got accomplished in the amount of time unless they were here to see it, and it was all God that we could get as far along on the project as we did. Today was our last day at the construction site and it was also our last day at the orphanage. This has probably been one of the hardest days for me so far. I have really connected with a little girl at the orphanage and my heart melted when I walked in today and her face lit up! It is such a awesome Christmas present for me to be able to bless these girls and to just be with them, loving them. They had us dancing and were teaching us how to play their games, and they were smiling and laughing the entire time. After game time, we were blessed with the opportunity to serve them. We had a big Christmas dinner for them, and served them their food, and they waited till the entire orphanage had their food to start eating. After that, it was time for gifts. There was a gift bag for every girl and the few boys in the orphanage. Then they all got to open their gifts at the same time and too see their little faces light up was an unforgettable experience. The little girl I have been with the last few trips to the orphanage wanted me to take a picture as she pulled out all of her gifts, and I didn't mind at all because her smile was from ear to ear. I was heart broken to have to leave the girls today. It is the last time we will see them on this trip, and it also means the end is near and its time to go home. Seeing their faces when we all left was so difficult, especially because I don't know the next time I will get back to see them. I just wish I could take those girls home with me and give them everything they don't have. Even though they don't have much, they are still very happy and they still want to give back to you! We only have one more full day in Haiti and then it is back home again for the holidays. I feel like I can speak for the group when saying that we all appreciate your prayers and support. Thank you to everyone praying and supporting our team, and see you soon!!! God Bless!!                                    Love, MegHan

No comments:

Post a Comment