Friday, June 1, 2012

So long little man...

.... for now anyway.  A few minutes ago I said "bye" to Jean Bernard.  He had the stitches out this morning at the hospital and we got a final exam from the doctor who said he is healing really well.  He has some swelling remaining in his "private area" but the doctor says that is because the hernia was there so long and the hernia itself is fine now (completely fixed).  He said if the swelling persists maybe we will get him to see a urologist in the future but for now it's nothing serious or life-threatening like the hernia was.  Praise God!  When I asked about his limitations the doctor patiently explained to him that he is still not to life anything heavy and he still needs to keep the incision site really clean and dry it well after showering (especially umbilical area- tends to harbor bacteria).  He promised that he would do all this.  Let's pray he does.

playing with a puzzle that was donated to the girls but was sitting around and kept me sane at the orphanage!  THANK YOU to whomever donated it!!!  :)  :)  :)  

removing the sutures.... I got to assist (wasn't much help I am afraid)..... GREAT doctor!  Would highly recommend him to anyone needing a surgeon in Haiti!  :)

It was hard to say goodbye.  He has literally been by my side for almost two weeks straight and I will miss the little guy a LOT.  I need sleep cause at night he would slide his mat so close to mine and then lay there and put his arm against my mat or drum on it or kick it so I would wake up a lot but it was nice to know he was there and safe. I am starved for normal adult conversation IN ENGLISH (and driving Redgi/James/Obed crazy with all my ramblings).  I am tired of constantly yelling at him to sit still and not play ball and not climb things (normal 12 year old boy stuff) and having him look at me with those puppy dog eyes and then wait until I am not looking to do it all again--- somehow thinking that if I don't SEE it he didn't do it.  Hahahaha

But, now he tells us he will run away and be back on the street.  We urged him to stay with relatives or the Cornet family but I don't honestly think he will.  I am sure he will show up from time to time and he knows I will return to Haiti July 9th and that James will know where I will be then.  That way he can come and find me and I should be able to give a better update. He likes the freedom and lack of rules the streets provide.  He is still too young to understand structure and the importance of it and that some rules are there for his protection and/or the protection of others. He's just a little boy who wants to play and have fun and have no one telling him he can/can not do this or that.  Please keep him in your prayers and me as well.  It's been quite a journey.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see he has a friend in Franzi... Miss that guy.

    ReplyDelete