Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Thoughts After Haiti from Ericka

It almost doesn't seem real that I've only been back from Haiti for 2 days. Being a part of the "dream team" (as Crystal puts it :)) was an amazing 4 days that I wouldn't trade for the world. Coming back to the States makes it all seem like a dream and yet when I look back at the pictures, it brings back all the memories and experiences that I had in Haiti. Today I was looking at pictures of the first day that we arrived in Haiti and went to the orphanage: Dad holding My Love and Carina giving me the biggest hug ever. In that moment, I remember feeling such love and hope for these girls that I had never met before and I wanted to do everything in my power to make their lives better. I'm telling you, if I would have had my way, I would have brought both of them home with me :) I hope someday that I can go back to Haiti and love on them some more--But I realized something. Even though I can't do a whole lot physically for them right now, after I pray for those girls each day, I also pray that God will not let me forget that moment. That Haiti will be a forever "tugging" in my heart that I will not get comfortable feeling. It is so easy to think about places far away and hope that the people living there will be ok without really caring about them. I pray to God, I will never "get used" to my experience with Haiti. Crystal does an amazing job down there and God is truly using her in the church, school and orphanage. Thank you to the people of Haiti...you have given me a new aspect of faith and learning to live with less. 

Anyways, those were just some thoughts on my mind today as I reflected on Haiti. Thanks for listening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment